Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chamonix Users

Lost !!!

Chamonix Users

Howdy,

I like to shoot landscapes/nature. I tend to shoot wide.

I am considering this for my first 4X5. 045n-1

Now that you have used yours, do you still like it ?

Is it holding up well ?

To much camera for a beginner ?

Is the Universal Bellows worth the extra $$ ?

Would I be better of with another camera ?

Any other advice ?

Thanks
    Kevin

Re: Chamonix Users

The 45N-1 will be perfect for you, from what you say. The only issue you will have is the lack of instructions: there are several "hidden" latches that lock and unlock functions you may not know are there...several websites show these. Don't know what you refer to as "universal" bellows. The factory bellows work well for all landscape situations I have shot (widest lens 90mm), so I have no need for bag bellows. The factory bellows can probably be used with up to a 65mm lens. Someone else please verify this.

Lost !!!

Rafael,

Thanks for the response.

Here is a link to the Universal bellows.

http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/bellow.html

I don't know how to rename links, so I have to do it this way.

Kevin

3d Visual Effects artist

the universal bellows allow for more movement than the regular bellows for wide lenses, however if you know you will mostly be shooting wide, then I would try to get a set of bag bellows. A bag will most likely be even easier on movements than the universal bellows. I believe VinnyW here said that the Shen Hao bag bellows fit onto the Chamonix, I don't know if he had to do any modifications or not, but it would probably be worth it for shooting wide lenses.

With a 90mm lens I'm able to do full rise and full shift (together, or independently) with the universal bellows, with the regular bellows I was probalby only able to do 1/2 of that. Though when done together, it's obvious that the bellows are about at their limit, I've never actually had a shot that required both of them together, but if I did need this fairly often I would opt for a bag instead. Maybe Vinny can pop in and give us a word on the Shen Hao bag?
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Yep, I still love my 045n, every time I go hiking it's in my bag with 2 lenses and 10 sheets of films, very light weight, very space saving.

My camera is one of the first batches made, and it's still holding up pretty well. I used it not very often, maybe twice a month.

I haven't use the bag bellow, but one of my friends has one and according to him it worth every penny of it.

But if you tend to shoot wider than 90mm, take Daniel's advice, get a bag bellow.

The Chamonix 45n-1 is a fantastic camera. It's light weight but very stable. It has excellent movement capabilities and can use a lens from 47mm(flat board!) to 450mm(with extension). I have the universal bellows and it works great for my 75mm and 47mmXL. If you need lots of movements with a lens shorter than 75mm you need a bag bellows to get the full amount of front rise/fall/tilt/shift. I have not run into a situation where I would need a bag bellows, but it could happen with lens 75mm or shorter, 90mm should be fine with universal bellows.
    Will Wilson
    www.willwilson.com

Yep, still love mine too after about a year of ownership. Certainly fine for a beginner with all the movements you'd need. Just make sure everything's squared up and tightened down. I still have the standard bellows I can use my 65mm OK but with pretty much no movement, that doesn't really bother me as I rarely use that lens and if I do it needs very little movement anyway. It's fine with a 90mm.

I got the 45n-1 about a year ago.

I use it a lot. And so far, I’m very happy with it. Light weight, sturdy and adaptable.
    And as the factory is getting feedback from first owners, your camera will probably be better than mine.

I wouldn’t say that the bag bellows is a must have for wide.
    Actually I wish I have bought the universal bellows. Because the bellows are quite inconvenient to remove and set on the field and you cannot fold the camera with the bag bellows.
    Plus for my 90mm and 65mm, the standard bellows is doing ok.
    It robs a bit of movements on my 90 but is ok. (EDIT : with a recessed lensboard)

I really wish I got the universal bellows.
    I actually have the use of the bag bellows sometimes when I want to use the full range of movements allowed with my 90, same with the next lens I’ll purchase.
    But I would not recommend this item as the universal bellows will match the needs of all my lenses without robbing movements to wide lenses.

Of course this camera is not as precise as some others probably are.
    I looked a lot of folding camera before getting mine, and for my needs: landscape (lightweight), architecture (lot of movements + wide angle abilities) and low cost it was the best choice to make.
    For the $$$, it is clearly unbeatable.

For landscape and backpacking, I use it on a cheap SLR tripod (backpack about 3.5kg including tripod!). And for architecture I use a Manfrotto with a 3-way head.

I think it is an excellent learning camera as well.

And oh, yes, last thing: don’t worry about the hidden settings someone has mentioned, you’ll find them and there is plenty of website where you can find user’s guide for this camera. (Including by asking questions here)
    Moreover, all the folding camera I had the opportunity to try before getting this one have some hidden stuff as well.

Great camera.
    Last edited by Clement Apffel; 17-Mar-2009 at 08:28. Reason: added info

3d Visual Effects artist

Quote Originally Posted by Clement Apffel View Post
    I actually have the use of the bag bellows sometimes
    Is this a bag you made yourself? or another brand that fits? I thought Chamonix didn't make a bag bellows?
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Chamonix makes a bag bellows.