Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the sharpest 90mm and 210mm?

What is the sharpest 90mm and 210mm?

I am thinking of getting into LF with a 4X5. I want to use the LF camera to photograph landscape, nature and architecture. I don't know if "sharpest" is the correct term, but I would like to produce images that are much sharper than I can get with my D700. I think selecting a 90mm and 210mm lens would provide the only two perspectives I should need.

I have read literature, but I would like user feedback (rather than brochures) on the type of lens that produces sharp or other desirable features. Some of the terms I have read include angulon, symmar, aspheric, etc.

Any recommendations on specific lens models would be appreciated.

Re: What is the sharpest 90mm and 210mm?

All the modern (last 30 years) name-brand lenses are going to be "sharp" and pretty similar, at least amongst similar designs. You'll probably find more sample variation within a brand than any outright brands or models to avoid.

And even a mediocre example will be able to give you excellent images "superior" to your D700.

Really you just have to dive in and try a few. A $250-$350 210mm f/5.6 Rodenstock Sironar-N in a black-rimmed Copal shutter (from about 15 years ago) -- or a similar Schneider Symmar-S -- is a really great starting point, giving you a lot of lens for the money.

If you really want to be sure of having the latest and greatest, then buy three copies of the best new lens -- like a 210/5.6 Schneider APO-Symmar-L -- and test them against each other. You probably won't be able to tell them apart, but you'll know that you have the best possible.

Good entry-level 90s are the Rodenstock Grandagon-N 90/6.8, but the Grandagon-N 90/4.5 is even better (albeit larger/heavier). Also Schneider 90/8 Super-Angulons (and it's faster 90/5.6 version).

Fuji and Nikkor also ~made~ excellent optics. I think Rodenstock (Linos) is still making lenses but only Schneider is actively developing new lenses for large format film cameras now.

The lenses I mentioned are VERY popular in the USA and probably the best "bang for the buck" used. I wouldn't hesitate to use any of them for the most demanding work, it really depends on condition, image circle, size/weight, filter size (nice if they all are the same size!), etc.

I have a Nikon 90mm f8 that I am very happy with, lots of room for movements and very sharp. Fairly light because it's f8. I don't find it is too dark to focus.

I think any of the modern multicoated 210mm f5.6 lenses will be fine. There may be a greater difference between samples than between brands.

See the lens chart on the front page of this site.

Check KEH for used prices.

http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/testing.html

David, unless you want bigger prints or just want to experiment, you will NOT get sharper prints.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post

Fuji and Nikkor also ~made~ excellent optics.
    Unless you "know" something I don't, Fuji STILL MAKES excellent optics. They are just not officially imported into the USA, however they ARE imported by a few dealers, such as Badger Graphics.

No I didn't know that. Go Fuji!

But are those "new" Fuji lenses NOS, or are they actually still manufacturing them?

I'm sure Fuji is still making LF lenses; Phone Badger and ask:

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/c...duct_list&c=28

Love Fuji glass. All modern lenses will fit your needs.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html