Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Used 4X5 Field Camera body for $1,000?

Best Used 4X5 Field Camera body for $1,000?

I thought it was better to start a new thread to narrow down the comments. I am interested in LF and would like to purchase my first 4X5. I would like to buy used equipment and hold the cost of the camera body around $1,000. I just purchased two EX+ used lenses; a 210mm f/5.6 APO Sironar-S and a 90mm f/4.5 Caltar-II N. I plan to use the camera for landscape, nature and architecture.

I am unfamiliar with LF and now know that I don’t know enough to select the correct camera body, but my budget allows me to spend around $1,000. I would like to limit my selection to used camera bodies in excellent shape that will hold their value. Some of the recommended bodies that fit within these parameters are the Arca Swiss Discovery and the Ebony RW45. Using this criteria, what camera bodies should I consider? Also, should I still consider a 5X7 if I already selected 210 and 90 lenses?

My original thread is available at:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=47767

I ordered Jack Dykinga's Large Format Landscape Photography book and continue to read many of the resources available on this site.
    Last edited by timberline12k; 21-Apr-2009 at 09:01. Reason: 5X7 Question

Octogenarian

Re: Best Used 4X5 Field Camera body for $1,000?

You can purchase a new Chamonix 4X5 body for less than !K. It's a cutting edge wooden field camera.

If you prefer a metal cameras, look for a previously owned Toyo 45A. They usually can be found for 1k, or less.

There are many other high quality used field cameras out there in your price range, both wood and metal. Contact Jim, at Midwest (mpex). He can help you find what you are looking for.

Chamonix FTW.

Octogenarian

BTW, there is an excellent used Chamonix for sale on this forum, as we speak.

I keep hearing about Chamonix, but I can't find any reviews. What is the story on these cameras? How are they cutting edge and what other brands are similar in features and build quality.

I think the used Chamonix has sold, but one in that good of shape is what I would like.

Octogenarian

Similar in features to the 4X5 Chamonix:

Phillips 4X5, the original of that particular design, but way out of your price range. Superior build quality. Exotic wood. Made in the USA.

Shen Hao PTB, a copy of the Chamonix, but less expensive. Made in China. Build quality matches the price.

The Chamonix is also made in China. Excellent build quality and reasonable price.

Lots of info. available about the Chamonix in the archives of this website. Google it.

Used field cameras under $1,000? Lots of them.
    It would be easier to compile a much shorter list: Used field cameras OVER $1,000.

As soon as you have access to the For Sale listings here, you can search for every 4x5 field camera sold in the past year. Or longer. $500 buys a lot of 4x5 field camera. $1,000 buys a camera and 1-2-3 lenses.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between a 5X7 Horizontal only model and a Convertible Model?

http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/57.html

Can you switch between landscape and portrait mode? Other than wider perspective with the same lenses, couldn't you crop a 4X5 or 5X4 out of a 5X7 body?

In my many years of LF photography I've owned two Ebonys, two Linhof Technikas, two Tachiharas, two Deardorffs (hmmm, there seems to be a pattern of seller's remorse here), one Technikardan, one Shen Hao, one Agfa Ansco, one Kodak 2D, and one Chamonix. If price was no consideration the Master Technika was my favorite but for under $1,000 it would be the Chamonix hands down.

For under $1,000 you get a very well built, well-designed light-weight (around 4 lbs) camera with about a 15" bellows and as many movements as you'll ever need,all in an innovative and attractive package. IMHO it combines the best features of the Tachihara and the Shen Hao, which used to be my favorite under-$1000 choices, without any of their disadvantages (weight in the case of the Shen, limited movements in the case of the Tachihara, short bellows in the case of both). As you can tell, I'm not a fan of monorails for field work so I can't comment on the Discovery, I know others here think highly of them.

I don't know about formal "reviews" as such of the Chamonix, there aren't many publications that review LF cameras. But as someone else mentioned, if you just search for Chamonix in this thread you can find plenty of pictures and information.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I prefer my Toyo 45AX over the Chamonix I used to own. The Toyo is sturdier and faster to use. I have some pictures of the Chamonix up on my blog. I prefer the lighter AX Toyo over the AR and ARII because a rotating back isn't very useful, and it adds weight.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know