Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Used 4X5 Field Camera body for $1,000?

www.reallybigcameras.com

Re: Best Used 4X5 Field Camera body for $1,000?

Quote Originally Posted by timberline12k View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between a 5X7 Horizontal only model and a Convertible Model? Can you switch between landscape and portrait mode?
    The convertible model permits positioning the back in either horizontal (landscape) or vertical (portrait) orientation. The horizontal only model, is just that. The back is fixed in the horizontal position. To shoot vertical compositions with this model would require turning the entire camera on its side.

Quote Originally Posted by timberline12k View Post
    Other than wider perspective with the same lenses, couldn't you crop a 4X5 or 5X4 out of a 5X7 body?
    Yes, or you can just buy a reducing back and use 4x5 film in 4x5 holders.

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras

Suggest you contact Hugo Zhang e-mail: hugoz_2000@yahoo.com

I believe Hugo would be happy to answer any Chamonix camera-specific questions.

Dwain

www.reallybigcameras.com

Quote Originally Posted by lilmsmaggie View Post
    I believe Hugo would be happy to answer any Chamonix camera-specific questions.
    I would also be happy to answer any questions about Chamonix Cameras - either here in the forum, through PM, or through email at: sales@reallybigcameras.com

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    I don't know about formal "reviews" as such of the Chamonix, there aren't many publications that review LF cameras. But as someone else mentioned, if you just search for Chamonix in this thread you can find plenty of pictures and information.
    Ted wrote a review in VC magazine last year.

One of the very interesting things I find about buying and selling used cameras and LF equipment is that they tend to hold their value. This allows someone with say, a thousands bucks, to invest in a pretty nice used camera — or even a new one as is the case of the Chamonix and its ilk — try it out for a while, and if it's not to your liking, you can sell it for probably something very close to what you bought it for. Then you can reinvest in other equipment. I have friends in my amateur astronomy group who do this (where equipment also holds it value): they buy a piece of equipment, use it for a while, sell it, and buy something else. It's a great thing being involved in a hobby where we can take the same wad of cash and try out different things. So I say if you have $1000.00, take a leap and buy a camera, shoot with it for a few months, and if you don't like it, sell it and get another model. At some point you'll get a camera in your hands that will just feel right, and you'll then start searching for another thousand bucks to invest in a "second" camera.

Ahh, the money pits we dig...

BVS

Quote Originally Posted by bvstaples View Post
    One of the very interesting things I find about buying and selling used cameras and LF equipment is that they tend to hold their value. This allows someone with say, a thousands bucks, to invest in a pretty nice used camera — or even a new one as is the case of the Chamonix and its ilk — try it out for a while, and if it's not to your liking, you can sell it for probably something very close to what you bought it for. Then you can reinvest in other equipment. I have friends in my amateur astronomy group who do this (where equipment also holds it value): they buy a piece of equipment, use it for a while, sell it, and buy something else. It's a great thing being involved in a hobby where we can take the same wad of cash and try out different things. So I say if you have $1000.00, take a leap and buy a camera, shoot with it for a few months, and if you don't like it, sell it and get another model. At some point you'll get a camera in your hands that will just feel right, and you'll then start searching for another thousand bucks to invest in a "second" camera.

Ahh, the money pits we dig...

BVS

Maybe I will try this line on my wife, but it does sound familiar. I returned to photography last year after a 15 year hiatus and purchased a D300 and kit lens. After a couple months I sold that equipment at not much discount and upgraded to a D700 with FX lenses. Of course that also required I sell my guitar and amp. The camera body and lens held their value pretty well considering I used them all summer. The guitar was a trial to bond with my son. I was not willing to put in the time to justify learning how to play the guitar, so the guitar and amp sale covered a really nice lens addition. I am normally a buy and hold type of person, but in this situation I came out pretty well. I can't say the same for the software.

David

IMHO that Jack Flesher wrote an excellent review at the GetDPI Workhop forum:

forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178

It's what sold me on the Chamonix 45n-1

Dwain

Tallulah Bankhead

You really can't go wrong or get too hurt with any of the better cameras.

You might consider that the Chamonix is one of the better light wooden cameras; where the Toyo A-series or an older Linhof Technika IV would be of the better folding metal technical cameras -- heavier but more robust than any wooden camera. And a good minimalistic monorail like the Arca Discovery (or the Sinar Norma, Linhof Kardan, Cambo SF, Toyo G, etc.) is a bit bulkier but with the benefits of having a full range of clear, easy to understand movements and system-wide expandability.

Personally, especially for a beginner, I like simple cameras that allow them to see and utilize the movements without contorting themselves to get at them, therefor a nice metal monorail is the best choice to me. The weight and bulk are mere disadvantages, but at least with a "open" camera like an Arca-Sinar-Cambo you can actually see what you're doing when you decide to make a rise or shift or tilt, so you will learn how to use the view camera faster.

Then trade everything around and become a camera slut like me. After all, being a gearhead and swapping gear is really what the hobby is about, making photos is incidental. Otherwise you'd just get a $300 Crown Graphic and go shoot instead of dicking around ;-)

The other Under $1000 to consider is Shen Hao. Basger Graphics and Midwest Photo carry this all the time. You never see used Shen Hao on Craigs List, E bay or Keh.com so you are almost forced to buy them new. Shen Hao has a similar model to the Chamonix too. The advantage is they are stocked and distributed by Badger Graphic. I have had one for 3 years and wont give it up.
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

Your lenses will cover 5x7 so you may want to consider a 5x7 with a extra 4x5 back. But that may be pushing the cash limits. You can get a real nice Zone VI plus a bag bellows for under a G. I like the Zone because of the 21" bellows but the I like long lenses and close ups. The Zone VI is over 6 lbs.

If buying a Chamonix I would deal with Kerry. I won't get into the details but this is a man to trust and stands behind what he sells even well after the fact. I mean like a year later. Having someone dependble to turn to when things go wrong is not to be taken lightly.
    Jim