Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tiny Tiny Petzval Lens?

Re: Tiny Tiny Petzval Lens?

Steve,
    By 35mm do you mean a digital SLR? Is weight/bulk the main concern then? What if you could adapt the lens on your pentax (or similar but smaller) to the front of a Holga? That way you could still get medium format and it would weigh nothing. The challenge of course would be focusing, but with shims and/or a helical I bet you could rig something up without too much trouble. Another option might be to mount a small petzval (like the one gandolfi points out) onto a 6x6 folder. You wouldn't be able to close it obviously but it wouldn't take up much space/weight.

Walter,
    Yep, they cracked open my sternum and out with the old, in with the new (not really that easy). Medical science....you can't beat it. Of course all the drugs I take introduce a whole new set of issues, but you can't have everything. Where would you put it?

Thanks for the compliment on the website. I always appreciate compliments since most of us usually toil away in obscurity.

Argos33,
    I was pretty much talking about a DSLR. I have to carry a tremendous amount of medication in my carry-on bag. The idea of carrying a couple of big cameras, along with a ton of film, on top of the meds and everything else just doesn't seems logistically feasible.
    I have my eye on the lens gandolfi pointed out (thanks, by the way), but we'll see.

Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com

Steve, your tintypes of the dogs are superb! Really fantastic. Keep up the great work. ed

Ed,
    Thanks for the compliment. Those are obviously "modern" tintypes, using digital negatives and printed using liquid emulsion on metal under an enlarger light.
    I think when we return from our trip to Italy in July, I'm going to embark on learning the wet plate collodion process. Not sure how I can continue the dog series with real wet plate, but I'll give it some thought....
    Best,
    Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com

Stumbled across this thread,
    I did buy a mini petzval from Jim, and it turns out to be a great lens,
    I cannot shoot at infinity, but till 1 meter approximately,
    I bought a t2 canon eos adapter and had the thread cut out,
    so the lens would fit as close to the mirror as possible. Works
    great,

I would be VERY interested if anybody could point out how I can
    see the difference in projection cine petzvals and anastigmat desings,