Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: wood

wood

"A very well known camera maker charges the EXACT SAME PRICE for a camera constructed from ebony or mahogony....I'm having a custom camera made and the price is the same for either wood!"

Why the surprise?

they are both hardwoods, they are both expensive woods.

Are you tring to say that he would also charge the same for pine? Or walnut?

Get real. He is charging you for his time, knowledge, expertise, etc. the cost of the wood is factored into his costs. If you want to pay the same for both he is happy to charge you the same. If you want to negotiate for a difference in price you might find one is less then the other.

In any case enjoy the camera.

But why resort to custom in the first place?

wood

I like the odd size 5x8 camera.Just cut an 8x10 sheet in two and you have a nice long format.I like the proportions better than 4x5 or 5x7.Its closer to the Greek perfect golden mean of ancient times used for much of the artwork then.I can go panaromic or crop to 5x7 easily.The screen is easy on the eye and the camera isnt too heavy.And its a litle bit different than the norm which is cool too.And less dollares than a 5x7 from the same company.I just have to decide if I want to go light with mahogony or tough with ebony.Any ideas on the difference between these two woods and their use in real life circumstances?

wood

"And its a litle bit different than the norm which is cool too.And less dollares than a 5x7 from the same company.I just have to decide if I want to go light with mahogony or tough with ebony.Any ideas on the difference between these two woods and their use in real life circumstances? " And what about film holders?

Replacement ground glass? Fresnel screen?

Compendiuum?

wood

All must be custom made. BTW its easy enough to make your own ground glass...get two sheets of glass and some fine grit from a gem and mineral/specimen store(the type used for rock tumblers)...a little water and liquid soap mixed with the grit between the two sheets of glass...place on table and grind slowly the two sheets together...keeping an eye on the spots that need work....you may need to rinse the glass occationally to inspect but I did this on my Linhof and saved money overall and learned something valueable!