Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Latest View Camera Issue (March/April)

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Re: The Latest View Camera Issue (March/April)

Quote Originally Posted by jdc View Post
    I haven't read VC in some time or even flipped through it, but I was wondering have the winners from the VC/Foto3 conference been announced.
    Uh oh
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by jdc View Post
    I haven't read VC in some time or even flipped through it, but I was wondering have the winners from the VC/Foto3 conference been announced.
    you are kidding right?
    Will Wilson
    www.willwilson.com

Quote Originally Posted by Helcio J Tagliolatto View Post
    David

at first (since I'm a subscriber to Emulsion) I felt like you, but suddenly realized that may be he didn't know it.

I think this thread has gone a bit too long...
    Agreed.

I didn't want to comment either, but reading in the other thread about the (unfortunate) demise of Fotoman, perhaps that's who Mr. Simmons should be taking tips about business ethics from rather than from Wisner...

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    I didn't want to comment either, but reading in the other thread about the (unfortunate) demise of Fotoman, perhaps that's who Mr. Simmons should be taking tips about business ethics from rather than from Wisner...
    Surely not from you...

I've given Mr. Simmons a hard time about unprofessional editing and proofreading standards, and I don't apologize for those complaints. But I don't have any trouble with receiving magazines. To me it seems obvious that View Camera doesn't have enough lead time in getting the magazine distributed by the date on the cover, so I've always wondered: why doesn't Mr. Simmons simply skip a couple of months on the cover date? As long as everyone gets the same number of issues, I don't think there would be many complaints, and it would be a chance to get the distribution back in synch with the cover date.

I'd like to use this thread to publicly state that Steve Simmons, after reading my communication about missing issues, contacted me by e-mail and generously updated my two-year subscription. Furthermore, he is sending out two back issues to me right away. Also, in fairness to Steve, I must say that I had been less than insistent about getting the matter cleared up, since I have just finished a doctorate, which, along with my teaching responsibilities in Europe, has taken inordinate amounts of my time. I did send him an e-mail or two, but unfortunately from an account that no longer exists. His attempts at returning my e-mail bounced and I did not follow up. I am pleased and heartened by his contacting me.

I find this encouraging and precisely the type of positive effect which most of us strive for in threads of this nature. Apart from a few who were not really trying to make the situation better, I believe the posters here were, as I was, hoping that our feedback would have a positive impact and result in problems with View Camera being resolved. For my part, they have. I would wish and hope that other issues, such as late payment to contributors, etc., could be dealt with as well (and as easily).

Personally, I am looking forward to perusing my issues of View Camera again in the future.

Best,

Doremus Scudder

Doremus,
    You cover a wide area. Oregon to Austria. Wow! Neat!
    That's all I had to say.
    The View Camera/Steve Simmons is old hat. I'm sorry that some of you are feeling hurt. But, I stopped wondering long ago.
    Steve should make VC a web based magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hohenstein View Post
    I've given Mr. Simmons a hard time about unprofessional editing and proofreading standards, and I don't apologize for those complaints. But I don't have any trouble with receiving magazines. To me it seems obvious that View Camera doesn't have enough lead time in getting the magazine distributed by the date on the cover, so I've always wondered: why doesn't Mr. Simmons simply skip a couple of months on the cover date? As long as everyone gets the same number of issues, I don't think there would be many complaints, and it would be a chance to get the distribution back in synch with the cover date.
    My wife subscribed to a magazine that was a one person publishing operation and it specifically stated you subscribed for four issues ( it was originally a quarterly magazine), not four issues per year. So they got around the calender deadlines that way, but you never knew when the next issue was going to arrive

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Palm View Post
    My wife subscribed to a magazine that was a one person publishing operation and it specifically stated you subscribed for four issues ( it was originally a quarterly magazine), not four issues per year. So they got around the calender deadlines that way, but you never knew when the next issue was going to arrive

I believe Judy Siegel's Post Factory Journal was published that way. No guarantees for the publishing date, just the number of copies.

Don Bryant