Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arca Swiss Discovery used price?

Arca Swiss Discovery used price?

As best as I can tell, Arca Swiss Discoverys used to sell new for $1,200-$1,500. Since they have been discontiuned for several years, what range would you estimate is a fair price for a used Discovery?

Re: Arca Swiss Discovery used price?

Any working Discovery below $800 is bargain.

Try to get the lensboards and any other parts, as Arca parts are pretty hard to find used and are expensive.

The rail system is usually what people want to upgrade, with the longer mounting base and longer extensions. And the leather bag bellows. The Discovery standards are fine until you compare them with the $$$ Orbix geared standards.

Pay attention, as there are older models pre-F-line and pre-Discovery. And a few years ago the F-line transitioned from 171mm frame standards to 141mm frame standards; there are also 110mm 6x9 frames out there, and the bellows come in various combinations of sizes. So know what you are buying.

Required reading: http://precisioncameraworks.com/

Widows and Orphans Beware

I paid about $800 for mine about a year ago. No regrets.

As for lensboards, they are out there but not necessarily the one you need when you need it. You can get an adapter to convert from the 171 to the 110 size, and other adapters are available. I have an adapter that takes the Linhof Tech V board, which is very easy to find.

If used Discoveries sell around $800, what do F-Line Classic's (circa 2001) sell for? If they have 171mm board, is that a problem? What is the main difference between the Classics and Discoveries and is it important for landscape?

The Discovery uses the most common 171mm size lensboards and bellows.

The Discovery has friction locks for all movements except the rear focusing block is gear-driven for fine-tuning the focus. The locking levers are yellow.

The F-line Classics have the gear-driven focus on both front and rear. Locking levers are light grey.

The practical photographer only needs the gear-drive on the rear. You try not to move the front for focus since that changes the lens to subject distance and the composition. Really there is nothing the Discovery sacrifices that prevents you from making just as good a photo as the F-Classic.

I've seen some F-Classics go for $800 too but more often in the $1000 range, plus or minus a couple hundred. They've been made for 20 years now so conditions vary.

So what would be a better buy? A Discovery for $900 or a F-Line Classic for $1,500?

I've owned several AS 4x5's but never a Discovery. My preference is for one with Orbix, and the Field model is my favorite. But you will pay much more than $1500 for a nice one.

It probably depends on the overall condition of the camera (wear, defects) more than anything else.

Doug is right, but the Orbix models are over $2K used.

All things being equal, and you being a beginner and all, get the Discovery.

Yeah Frank but only if he has a wife. Otherwise let him go hog wild !

Widows and Orphans Beware

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dolde View Post
    Yeah Frank but only if he has a wife. Otherwise let him go hog wild !
    Now you tell me?

Actually, a girlfriend can be just as critical of the Gear Acquisition Syndrome as a wife. It's a little easier to hide symptoms from the gf however