Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Non-Reflective Black Paint for Inside Bellows?

Re: Non-Reflective Black Paint for Inside Bellows?

I just re-blackened Margret's (the magnesium C-1) bellows using Rit liquid dye. It worked well undiluted and applied with a foam brush.

The product I would recommend is PlastiDip "Multi-purpose Rubber Coating" in Black. This is a liquid rubber product marketed for "dipping" tool handles in to give them a flexible rubber coating. It dries very thin and flexible. It can be diluted (for brushing) with Naptha (lighter fluid). I have extensively brushed this onto the outside of older bellows and it does not impede their flexibility. It should work fine on the inside also, but I wouldn't use it where it is not needed, just sealing up light leaks is the idea. On the can it says: "Coats, seals, protects metal, wood, glass, rubber, concrete, fabric, fiberglass, rope." It also says: "Flexible-Won't Crack, Chip or Become Brittle"

You can get this product in the Paint section of large hardware stores such as Ace Hardware. It is available in colors, but black is the only one that would seal light leaks.

Jacquard Textile Paint, like their 122 Black. I used this on an ancient leather bellows on my 1937 AGFA Jsolette about five years ago, and it is still light tight. Another similar choice is screen printing ink, like you might use for printing on T-Shirts. It remains flexible for a very very long time.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Black tempera paint (the kind you mix from powder) is as non-reflective a coating as I've ever seen in my life, but it flakes if you bend it. We've tried mixing it with other compounds such as Sticky Glue or PVA, etc and that helps, but additives usually increase the gloss.
    Commonly available high-grade fabric paint (SoSoft, TulipSoft) is really good, and someone mentioned Jacquard, which should be very good, also. As for a spray product, there is a flat black paint made for auto bumpers (which are plastic), and it is not bad stuff. I want to say it is under the Krylon brand.
    Jon

http://www.fpi-protostar.com/tubeliner.htm is a good source for flocking liner material.

Thanks all! ....so many great replies.

Actually, I'm not certain I will even have a problem, I saw the 617 issue and example images in another forum and like to be prepared (OCD).

Plus, I thought it would be good to have this thread as a record for others.

Robt.

I just tried out some spray flat paint and found out my darkroom fan does not really work well at all
    Next time I'll dilute some India Ink.