Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best inexpensive method for drilling lens boards?

Best inexpensive method for drilling lens boards?

I'm looking for the simplest most cost effective (aka cheapest) way to drill out my wood lens boards. I have a hand drill, a crappy jig saw, and a passable table saw, but beyond that--I just have your standard hand tools. I don't have a router, router table, drill press or any other power tools. I'd like to spend a maximum of $100 on a solution if possible. Is that feasible? I noticed that Dremel has a circular cutting attachment, but wonder if would do the job. A Dremel tool and an attachment would fit my budget, but I don't want to waste money if it's not suitable. Thanks for your help.

Eric Woodbury

Re: Best inexpensive method for drilling lens boards?

Things like this work. I have a simpler one than this and if I take it easy, it will cut aluminum. Or you can get a large spade bit and grind it to any diameter.

http://grizzly.com/products/Circle-C...justment/H7538
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

I use something like this which fits in as standard hand-held drill: http://www.thedetailzone.com/HoleDrill.jpg

Since the 'standard' sizes for these bits don't always line up with COPAL 1, COPAL 2 etc, I use the little sanding drum on the Dremel to finish out the exact size as needed. I always try to make my 'cut line' slightly bigger than needed so it is always visible. When working with the Dremel, I find that if I make the 'cut line' exact, then as I grind the material and the line away I can get lost and start to get out of round.

Eric-- Do you use it with a hand drill? The chuck in my drill wouldn't take that in any case. Is there such a thing as a decent inexpensive drill press?

ic-racer-- I have all sorts of odd sized lenses, so i think I'd need something more adjustable.

I've used both types above, and can add some more info. There is another type similar to the one posted by Eric that has bars coming out of both ends, with the alignment bit in the middle. It fits in my 3/8 drill and you can get them at Home Depot. The hole saw also comes in a kit, with many different sizes. It also fits a standard drill. Between the two, you can cut any size you need, though I just cut wood, no metal. A cheap drill press can be bought at a Harbor Freight, if you have them there.

[QUOTE=BarryS;456326]Eric-- Do you use it with a hand drill? The chuck in my drill wouldn't take that in any case. Is there such a thing as a decent inexpensive drill press?

You might try Craiglist for a used drill press, I bought mine that way. Best if you can test the drill press under power. Check that the chuck runs true, and also check that the drive pulleys are true.

Roger

For the last one I made, I used a 1 1/2" hole saw and a half round mill file. Since you are cutting wood, you can use a hole saw if you have the right size; or a spade bit (but be sure to clamp your board between two pieces of scrap wood or you will not get a clean hole). But, since you want something adjustable, your crappy jig saw should be fine. Just buy a narrow, fine tooth blade, lay out the hole with a compass, drill a smaller hole anywhere inside the circle, stick the jig saw in and cut away. Cut slowly with the edge of the blade in the center of your pencil line. If you have a larger piece of wood its easier to cut the holes before you cut the the board to size, as you have something to clamp or hold on to. Remember, a jig saw cuts on the up stroke, so your finish side will be down.

Cheers, Tim

Eric Woodbury

Barry, I have a drill press. There are some inexpensive ones around. Your neighbor or work or high school might have one. The one I have wouldn't work in a hand drill. Sorry about that.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

joseph

An electric jigsaw will be fine for what you want-
    practice first, and remember, they steer from the rear...

I have a craftsman drill press that was about $80. It's useful for all sorts of things, including using a fly cutter to drill out lens boards.

That said, I've cut the holes many ways, including using a hand drill to drill out as much as possible, then using a file, circular sander, e.g. a dremel or something similar, to round out the hole. A router with a jig would be another option, as would the jig saw already mentioned.