Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fluid Mounting Epson V750

Re: Fluid Mounting Epson V750

Quote Originally Posted by aphexafx View Post
    The version of SilverFast Ai that came with my 750 is pre- multi-exposure, but it looks likes some people are getting upgrades simply by calling...

Tim, at what resolution do you begin to see misalignmet from multi-sampling?
    I tried emailing them a couple weeks ago but have received no response so far. I've only done multi pass at 2400 ppi and above, but from what Sandy is saying, should it matter? The weird thing is that it has only happened a couple of times.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Why would the plexi laminate mount have anything to do with the stability of multi-pass scanning? The problem with multi-pass scanning with Epson flatbeds, as I understand it, is that the stepper motors lacks the precision necessary. I don't understand how a system of mounting is going to change that.

Sandy
    Agreed, about Epson hardware and alignment and precision. The mounting method would not change that, obviously.

It was mentioned, and I have heard others mention before, that film expansion was an issue for multi-pass scanning. Given this possibility, I assume that the plexi mount would hold the film and insulate it from lamp heat better than other methods. Therefore, I just meant that if film expansion IS a problem, then this method might be more stable. Personally I have never had an issue with film expansion, creep, or what-have-you.

Quote Originally Posted by timbo10ca View Post
    I've only done multi pass at 2400 ppi and above, but from what Sandy is saying, should it matter? The weird thing is that it has only happened a couple of times.

Tim
    There would be more alignment error for smaller steps at higher resolution...or rather, the smaller samples reveal the alignment error to a larger degree. So, yeah, I think you would see more alignment error the higher the scan resolutions. (if that is what you meant!)

So far mine has been doing fairly well at around 2400/4800 ppi. (fingers crossed)

On that note, both multi-sampling and multi-exposure could be implemented physically in a single pass and this would remove any hardware alignment and/or film alignment errors. I wonder if the scanner firmware prevents the driving software from doing this…???
    Last edited by aphexafx; 7-Apr-2009 at 23:42.

I have Silverfast AII and upgraded to studio ME, tried it last night on a very dark shadow area, and there is a very marked improvement is shadow detail, tonality and noise reduction. I used the standard 5x4 epson holder, and there was no shift in the imag or halo effects.

Certainely early signs are very encourgaing, combine that with fluid mounting, we should have results

Hi All

One of the most frustrating things about Silverfast (I'm using Ai version that comes with the Epson V750) is that whenever you get a good preview it seems impossible to keep these settings for the next image due to the auto-exposure being permanently active. I also binned SF as a result - it was an impossible workflow for making scans that had consistent colour. However, he control for turning the auto-exp off is hidden away in the Negafix control panel. Click on the expert button, then select expansion, go to the bottom and uncheck the auto box. This makes ALL the difference.

I think Vuscan is an excellent scanning application. If I didn't get SF with the scanner I would be using it right now.

Issues with multi passing - I really like this feature of SF, but the problem here, like many of you have notes below, seems to be the scanner. I've had some very good scans with a extension of tone using x4 pass, but I have found that most of the time there are problems with the images not overlapping properly. I've tried a number of methods, including letting the film warm up in the scanner, letting it run over-night to reduce any vibrations. To no avail. I think the problem is mechanical. Sure, the V750 is a good machine, but I'm not convinced that for high res scans the tolerances of the gearing are good enough to achieve accurate scans using the multi-pass method. I think what happens is that when the scanner head makes each pass it is in a very slightly different position each time.

I would be very happy if someone would prove me wrong!

I've got the fluid mount tray and I will purchase the fluid kit in the next month or so as I want to achieve a high standard and standardised work flow. I'll post feedback on the results as soon possible.

Kind regards

Phil Harris

Timbo made a comment about there being more to sharpening than USM. Very true!

I use a method developed by Bruce Fraser (digi guru). Here it is below. Is also appears in Martin Evening's Photoshop for Beginners, CS3 etc. When you come to the USM settings you might want to increase the radius to 1.0 (or a bit more) since film users scan at image file sizes far exceeding the file sizes of DSLRs. Let me know how you get on.

Bruce Fraser Sharpening method
    (see Martin Evening)

1. duplicate layer and double click to open Layer Style

2. change blend mode to 66%

3. Set Blend If to
    This layer: 0, 230/250
    Underlying layer: 10/20, 255

To split the values press the alt key when selecting

This has the effect of selecting out a range of shadows and highlights that will not be effected by the sharpening. The visual effect over the dup layer/high pass techinique is that the sharpening effect is more subtle and realistic.

4. Apply Unsharp Mask to this layer:
    Amount: 320%
    Radius: 0.6 pixels
    Threshold: 4 levels

5. Go to Edit - Fade:
    Opacity: 70%
    Mode: Luminosity

6. Change layer blend from Normal to Overlay

7. Filters - Other - High Pass, set Radius of 2 pixels

Done