Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: chemistry in small packages

Re: chemistry in small packages

Yes Jerold, its not much, but works fine with the Paterson Orbital and continuous agitation. The orbital weighs very little, and can be loaded in a changing bag, so its perfect fro travel, but i just need to figure out a way to carry along the chemistry.

Several people said they don't worry about traveling with exposed negatives, but as I move around Asia I pass through a lot of dodgy airports, and would be much more comfortable if I could process negatives on the spot.

Rodinal seems to be the best option. You can buy the smallest bottle (125ml/4oz) and mix as needed. Liquids are easier than powders to mix as well. Bring a graduate that can measure small amounts. Rodinal cannot be carried on-board; you will need to put it in a zip-lock bag and put in the luggage that will be checked in.

Thanks Renato. That sounds a sensible solution. I'll see if Ic can find that in Bangkok, and if not, will look in the US when I visit in June. I guess if I want to use it in a carry on, I could pour some concentrate into one of those one ounce shampoo bottles that are allowed, and carry some powdered fixer.

I needed to test some film in the field and took a small Nalgene bottle I got at the camping store with 1/2 oz. of HC-110 or was it Ilfotec HC? (same stuff really). I mixed it with enough water to make 16 oz of working solution (dilution B). Worked great. You could get some of these bottles and fill them each with an ounce of HC-110 and stuff it in your Dopp kit. I doubt anyone would suspect it was anything more than shampoo. Maybe you could even get some sample shampoo bottles and use them? Just remember what's in it! I remember developing 8 sheets (4 at a time) in a quart of working solution without problems.