Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Cezanne Colorgenius software

Re: Cezanne Colorgenius software

Yes that worked (after downloading a trial version of Photoshop for OSX, my OS9 copy on the Powermac is slow). Thanks!

I've been doing quite a bit of scanning lately. With 35mm film, I've found that scanning at 6000 dpi gives by far the finest grain of any setting that I've tried, especially with grainy film. I tried 3000, 4000, 5000, and 6000. It wasn't even close.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Why do you think that is? I thought the Cezanne runs out of gas at 5400 dpi give or take. I never cranked mine that hard. I do have a backlog of 35mm to do, I'll give it a try.

I have scanned at 4000 dpi, only because that what I did with my Nikon 5000 scanner.

Bob

If I remember correctly, the Cezanne topped out at about 5700 dpi in the Seybold report, but that was the limit of their test slide. In any case, it probably has to do with grain aliasing. I doubt that there is any subject detail gained, but there definitely is image structure gain. I didn't test any intermediate dpi.s. In any case the scans from small film at 6000 dpi aren't that big.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Thanks, I'll give it a try between football games this weekend.

6000 here I come.

B

This is probably a stupid question, but would a scanner like the elite work with VueScan on windows via a USB to SCSI converter, or is the power of the scanner in the software?

Quote Originally Posted by BennehBoy View Post
    This is probably a stupid question, but would a scanner like the elite work with VueScan on windows via a USB to SCSI converter, or is the power of the scanner in the software?
    I asked Ed Hamrick about it once, and he said "no."

IMO Colorgenius V2 is better than Vuescan in any case. It's much easier to very finely tweak the various channels in CG.

Vuescan and Silverfast do not support Screen scanners. They do not have one, which is part of the reason.

I have just scanned 120 film (6x4,5) at 5000 the last few days. Incredibly happy with the results, although the files are bulky at 330Mb.

Still learning, in part because I've only just been able to set up my Powermac G4 via a dvi switcher to the Apple Cinema HD display I have on my MacPro. This makes for an easier set-up (one monitor), and the Powermac is connected to the MacPro via ethernet.

Willem, you might try scanning the 120 film in two strips at that resolution and combining and seeing if there's any quality increase. With a 120 film, a Cezanne should be able to pull about 3600-4000 dpi. I haven't tried this myself, as I haven't gotten to my 120 scanning yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    If I remember correctly, the Cezanne topped out at about 5700 dpi in the Seybold report, but that was the limit of their test slide. In any case, it probably has to do with grain aliasing. I doubt that there is any subject detail gained, but there definitely is image structure gain. I didn't test any intermediate dpi.s. In any case the scans from small film at 6000 dpi aren't that big.
    Tried 6000 dpi this morning. I can support this finding, that this setting creates very smooth scans. I don't know if there is a substantial bump in resolution over 4000dpi, but it sure made some of my lenses look like crap. CA was especially well resolved (g).

bob