Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Cezanne Colorgenius software

Re: Cezanne Colorgenius software

Perhaps the ICE only works with the Elite?

In passing, I found interesting comments on the Cezanne's built-in corrections, which apparently make any reversal film scan problematic. Because some artificial intelligence (what AI stands for, I assume) kicks in. Here's a reference to a maillist addressing the issue:

http://lists.apple.com/archives/colo.../msg00237.html

It recommends masking reversal film in particular. I personally find it hard to keep several negatives straight on the bed with the masks provided.

What this post calls AI is the scanners "auto" exposure setting, all scanning software have this feature. What he is saying to do is optimize the first slide and use this settings for an entire roll/batch. Note the poster is working in 35mm.

This is a big scanner with lots of light bouncing potentially around. I would concur in masking smaller formats scanned at high dpi's.

A sheet of 8x10 B&W does not seem to be as susceptible.

Use small bits of "blue" 3M tape (for antiques I believe is the designation) to stabilite the film from sliding around.

bob

I found this description for the blue tape, maybe this helps.

3M Low Tack Artist Tape

Thanks, I'll resource that. It's a simple but very good idea.

I had a power interruption yesterday, which lasted long enough to close down both computers, including the one which ran the Cezanne. Since then, ColorGenius Server refuses to start up, because the "scanner is in use by another application".

1. I detached the SCSCI-cable and restarted the Mac, then shut it down, reattached the cable, but that did not help.
    2. Trashing the preferences for ColorGenius Server did not work either.
    3. Starting the Maintainer gave the error that the scanner is busy.

I now have a PDF of the manual for ColorGenius, but this problem is not covered. I suspect it is Mac-related, but my OS9 experience is too limited. Any suggestions?

I have a big gap in my Mac education too. I left Mac in 97 (OS7??) and returned with the intel mac in 07 (OSX).

I am challenged also.

Luckly mine came set up properly and has not missed a beat.

You are starting CG server first and then (and only then) CG app??

Multiple copies of CG competing, or CG in startup list are my first thoughts.

Sorry,

bob

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried rebuilding the desktop, no help. But it works again after the following:

1. I put FT-Maintainer in the start-up items
    2. The Mac crashed when I was copying software from it.

Not sure whether 1) is the answer, or that the crash 2) cleared its memory, so I will be searching for an answer in case it happens again. Meanwhile, glad that it works. Do you have the installation disks? I only have a license, which is inconvenient if I ever have to reinstall the software.

You might want to make a clone of the hard drive. That way, if something happens to the first one, you simply remove it, and replace it with the cloned drive. No software reinstall required.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Have to find out how to do that. I once tried with OSX and failed! But you are absolutely right.

I finally managed to share my Cinema HD Display between a Powermac G4 and a MacPro, so that I can run the scanner from the same screen as my usual computer. Before that I had an unwieldy 1998 Barco monitor.

Having scanned transparencies, I've now tried my hand at B&W. I remember Peter's recommendation to scan in 16bits color, which I did, and then select the green channel in Photoshop. But on my Powermac, Photoshop 6 only exports to, well, photoshop formats . How do I get another picture format out of this, preferably one read by Aperture or Capture1?

The scanner software should output a 16 bit-per-channel tiff. In photoshop, use the channel mixer to specify monochrome output using 100% green channel, and zero red and blue. Now change the mode to grayscale. You should be able to save this file as a 16 bit tiff.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know