Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Photography and Fiction

Re: Photography and Fiction

To me photography is all about making a fiction believable, plausible.

Bill Jay did a book where he claimed to have found a series of nudes at a London flea market, which instead....

Duane Michals' narratives are fictional as a narrative, although they are not posing as anything else.

There is a tension in the art world between the gallery display of an actual assemblage, installation, tableaux, or performance versus a photograph of the same.

Personally I would prefer to see the real thing unless the photograph brings something to the viewing experience that mere looking cannot.

I suspect that the use of photographs in many cases is prompted by the fact that assemblages, installations, etc..., are awkward to set up, difficult to transport, and a nightmare to store and market. Photographs are much easier to vend to collectors.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Kirk,

Have you explored the work of Wright Morris? He published three books he called "photo-texts". My favorite is "The Home Place." Every other page is a photo, which stands independent of the text. Together, the test and photos create a whole greater than the text or photos create alone.

Great examples of pre-Photoshop cutting and pasting by both Robinson and Rejlander. Of course we could do it a little faster today. IIRC it took Rejlander about about two years to make his image. Each individual in it is a separate photograph. Robinson's is less elaborate, he only had to paste the sky and the man into his.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.