Thread: Peter Gowland's birthday - # 93

Peter Gowland's birthday - # 93

Received the following today after inquiring to purchase a replacement rear standard for my 4x5 Pocket View:

"Dear Jim,
    Please forgive the delay in responding to your request. I am retired now and only selling the few cameras that I have left.
    I did find a back standard and have packaged it for shipment. Since it’s been a week or so since you wrote I’m wondering if you had it repaired or somehow found another back? I wanted to know this before shipping by Post Office this afternoon. I would also appreciate it if you would return the damaged one to me. No charge for this service.
    I’m happy that you like the camera.
    Sincerely, Peter (my 93rd birthday today!)"

Peter's a legend ... and still giving warranty service with a smile. His phone number and email address are on his site for anyone who'd like to send a birthday note.

Re: Peter Gowland's birthday - # 93

Thanks for the reminder, Jim, and the good news that Peter is well and taking it a little easier... I last spoke to Alice about a year ago and can't believe it's really three years since Ted interviewed Peter at their CA home for a tribute article on the occasion of his 90th! Any occasion will do to send folks to that wonderful website to enjoy getting to know this true original, but especially this one. Happy birthday, Peter!

www.petergowland.com

Thanks all who responded with notes to Peter (it's still not too late) ... here's what he emailed me last night:

"A photographer friend announced my birth date on his website. Wow…I received so many e-mails, many from photographers I’ve never met and who at a very young age, read several of our photo books and became successful at the profession.! A very special birthday gift, I’d say"

His contact information is:

email: petergowland@earthlink.net
    phone: (310) 454-7867 or (310) 454-6779 (mornings are best)
    address: Alice and Peter Gowland
    609 Hightree Road
    Santa Monica, CA 90402

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

I read that whole site.. ! Thank you.. Alice and Peter are awesome

Steve ... I know ... what a GREAT website ... I spent a lot of time there being amazed.

Amy hit it right on the head when she described Peter as a "true original." For anybody who wants a glimpse of a true entrepreneurial photographer, and a trip down memory lane ... it's a great site. Both Alice and Peter are amazing. And, if you enjoy the site, send them an email ... they'd love it!

It was probably just the proximity of this thread to one Kirk started on Photography and Fiction...

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=47248

...but the first thing I thought of when I read that thread was Peter's website. Nearly every photo there has a story that's true enough to be good, good enough to be true, and pure Hollywood in the best sense.

At any rate, I had a note from Alice the day after PG's birthday, and she said they were overwhelmed by the "cards and letters". That's this community for you.

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

My father (God rest his soul) was a big fan of Gibby Gowland.. I remember my dad watching an old b&w film on TV and Gibby was in the movie..I asked him who he was and dad smiled and said " why thats Gibby Gowland".. He must of been a charactor
    My father knew all the actors by name in the day and only a few got the smile

Gibby and my dad were a lot alike . They shared the same sense of humor

What a slacker! Retired at only 93.

Just amazing that he's still around and reasonably active. I remember his glamor photographs (in "U.S. Camera" I think) from when I was a kid.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.