Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feedback on Photo

Re: Feedback on Photo

Hello Hector,

Thank you for your feedback. I do have to work on framing on that groundglass... lots. The original even has my wife's head popping up just a bit below that tree on the left hand side foreground... I cropped it in post.

How's the weather and light down there? We're getting dumped on (snow) today.

Marcé

Hello Marcé,
    the weather is rather mild, by Sonora desert standards. It gonna get hotter in a month at the most.
    Héctor Navarro Agraz

It has good tonality but the composition is kind of flat and boring. There's a big mass of black-ish trees spread across the center and nowhere for your eye to really go. But it's just one shot, not enough to strongly criticize one way or another. My first LF photo was pretty bland too, actually much blander than this! Remember, you've got this big pain-in-the-ass camera that you've decided to shoot with , so feel free to take your time and compose a really strong scene. It's not always easy. Sometimes you just might decide to go home without shooting anything, and that's okay too.

I do like the DIY camera case, very nice! Schlepping a huge tupperware trunk out into the field takes dedication!

Dear Marcé,

I like what you created...

Keep submitting, and we will try to help you going forward.

jim k

I think its pretty good, especially for a first shot.

An interesting composition might I add.

Widows and Orphans Beware

Very good for a first effort, IMHO. More important than any suggestion that might be made about that particular photograph, I think the most important thing would be just to take more photos. As you get more familiar with the camera itself, you will be able to focus (no pun intended) more on elements of composition, light, exposure, etc.

Thank you for your comments.

Nathanm, you are right; this composition is definitely not a good one. Hopefully with more practice operating the camera and all the technical details of exposure, filters, light, zone compression, etc will become second nature and I will be able to focus more on the actual subject in front of me.

Going back home w/o a shot is what I've been doing for a week and a half since I took this photo. We had a blizzard, lots of wind, overcast days... the only time I've looked out the window and say, "hey, it looks nice out there" I've been at work. As a matter of fact, I bought a book about night photography because I figure there's plenty of subjects to shoot at night too. We'll see.

I don't carry the Sterilite container more than a 100 meters from my truck. I just needed a way to transport the camera and related LF equipment in one case. This allows me to take the camera out of the house, which before I felt it was not feasible to do. I feel very happy with my $20 solution.

I'll try to shoot more and I'll share my results.

Thanks all for your valuable feedback.

Marcé