Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feedback on Photo

Feedback on Photo

Hi!

I am new to this forum. This is my first 4x5 landscape shot ever. I would appreciate it if anyone can provide feedback on the following photo and perhaps recommendations on how to improve. (All technical info -- equipment, exposure, development-- is there on the link location.)

http://macuca.net/gallery/displayima...up&cat=0&pos=0

Thank you!

Marcé

Re: Feedback on Photo

Ok, I take it that the photo is terrible or perhaps is that it is on a different site. I'll try to do better for my second attempt.

Ted Mastrandonas

I think that's a great first effort, or even a hundredth. I'd be happy with it! If I'd taken this it would go on my list to re-visit later in the spring to try to get some clouds in the sky and maybe a few buds on the bush in the foreground.

Marcé,

I think it is an excellent shot if this is your first attempt at 4x5". My first one did not even come close to the sharpness and DOF your image has. I think you will find yourself in LF!

Best,
    Darr

Pike's Peak or Bust! Your photos got me ready to hit the road for Colo.

Marcé, I also think it is a good job.

P.S.> I grew up in Castle Rock, and your image reminds me of home. Cheers.

3d Visual Effects artist

I would say maybe the gradient in the sky is a little strong, be it digital or physical filter. Other than that, I like the photograph :-)
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Hi!

Thank you all for your comments; you've made my day as I know (or will know) that LF is not an easy thing to learn.

Ted and Darlene, yes, that is my first landscape LF shot ever. When I bought this camera about three years ago I took about 3 or 4 food shots in my basement (which were very disappointing BTW) and the camera quickly went into storage as I didn't have a way to carry it with me. That has now been resolved with the "Marcé Large Format Transportation Device (TM)". More information here: http://macuca.net/gallery/displayima...?album=6&pos=1

I bought Steve Simmons' book which I am now reading for the second time cover-to-cover.

And Ted, there were a few puffy clouds in the scene *when* I started to frame my composition. I solemnly affirm that... now, where did those clouds go?

It was very windy that day. My first shot I underexposed because I mistook "2" on the lens with 2 seconds when in fact it was 1/2 second. The slower shutter speed settings were "1", T and B. Since I didn't want to fiddle with my wristwatch and I knew two seconds would be too long because of the wind I decreased the aperture to f/32.

Matt, I was hiking the other day in Castlewood Canyon near Castle Rock/Franktown. It was a gorgeous day.

Dan, I was supposed to meter for the shadows and add a filter compensation factor (which I did), but then I forgot to cut down development time in order to bring the sky back... so I overexposed the sky. Then I tried to burn the heck out of everything in post like some photos I've seen and the result is what you see. I agree with you; it's a little over the top.

Once again, thank you folks for your comments. LF is something I need to do.

Marcé

BTW, the original link should be:

http://macuca.net/gallery/displayima...?album=6&pos=0

I think it is a fine image Marcé.
    you have already mentioned what could be improved, but since your are asking for feedback I'd say that the lower right corner is a bit empty and including something there could improve it.
    Héctor Navarro Agraz