Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a bag for an open 4x5?

Question Is there a bag for an open 4x5?

I am off to a 3000 miles road trip through the entire US this summer and, while I have a camera bag that will fit all my digital gear and my closed 4x5, I would really like to find a simple padded bag to leave my 4x5 (Chamonix 45n) sitting in it already assembled with lens on in the trunk of the car (the idea came to me looking at my lunch box). This would considerably reduce the setup time to take pictures from the side of the road.

Is there such a bag?

Thanks
    Francesco

Re: Is there a bag for an open 4x5?

Where did you buy your lunchbox? I would go back there and take a look. There are many padded coolers, lunchboxes, etc. in many different sizes available. Maybe one will work, or with some creativity, be made to work for your Chamonix.

I just use a plastic milk/file box and set the darkcloth in the box, then put the camera on top and wrap the camera with the dark cloth. Works great and costs about $5.

Sounds like an adventurous summer is ahead. Have fun!

Will the back seat be full? When I do that kind of thing I leave the camera on the sticks and lay the whole thing across the back seat.

You're either going to have to go more miles or pick a smaller country.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher D. Keth View Post
    Will the back seat be full? When I do that kind of thing I leave the camera on the sticks and lay the whole thing across the back seat.
    I would not recommend it. If you crash, the only reason you die is because your 4x5 smashed in your back head ...

A 3000 mile road trip in the United States will just barely get you from one coast to the other, You need to be thinking of 5000-6000 miles if you intend to take any side trips which are necessary to see very much of the country. As an example, I o once drove over 2500 miles during a 2 week stay in Death Valley, and never left the valley.

I think in the same way: a cooling box with extra foam on the bottom and sides.
    Take a measuring tape with you for the correct (about) sizes.
    If you want to put the camera behind you: fasten it with the seat-belt or put it on the floor (even safer). Keep in mind that in a crash every thing loose will become projectiles !

Have a great trip !

Peter

Cool Re: Is there a bag for an open 4x5?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher D. Keth View Post
    I do this with my Zone VI on a Gitzo 3530 with one section of the legs extended in my Volvo S70. I use the seatbelts to secure everything. Darkcloth folded between camera and seats to guard sharp corners. Works for me.
    Last edited by venchka; 22-Mar-2009 at 19:51.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Buy a cheap cooler. They come in many sizes. Get a fairly large one and put all your camera gear in it. Its really hot in most of the U.S. in the summertime so keep the cooler on the back seat if possible. That's how I carry camera gear on long car trips and it works great. I have many Pelican cases of all sizes but a cooler looks like nothing to steal compared to special equipment cases.