Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linhof Kardan Bi, 45S etc models

Linhof Kardan Bi, 45S etc models

Walter wrote: The camera could be upgraded to 5x7 & 10x8.

Walter,

Thanks very much for the comparative figures for the Kardan Bi and Kardan Color 45S. Those were really helpful.

What is needed (in time) to upgrade to 5x7 or 8x10? Is the only thing retained the tripod mount and the rail? To upgrade are new standards, bellows and lensboards needed?

It has been really interesting to read your enthusiasm for the Kardan Bi and that of the others who replied. For those who gave up the Kardan Bi what were the factors/pressures that caused that? Fashion? Something technically more fundamental?

Thanks again to all who replied.

Andrew Watt

"What is needed (in time) to upgrade to 5x7 or 8x10? Is the only thing retained the tripod mount and the rail? To upgrade are new standards, bellows and lensboards needed? "

For 5x7 just the ground glass frame is changed by sliding the 4x5 one off the rear standard.

For 810 a complete 810 standard is required as well as more rail.

In both cases, of course, the appropiate new size bellows is required.

To convert to 57 the current GT 45 to 57 conversion should work but that would not be true for 810.

Linhof has several cameras with base and axis tilts.

The B is one but it is not yaw free as both tilt points are abaove the swing point (unless you rotate the camera 90?)

The GT and GTL also have dual tilt points as does the M679 and M679cc and these are yaw free as the lower tilt point is under the swing point of the standard.

i searched for a couple years for an 810 conversion and never found one, as have many others. i heard stories they come up once in a while but i got tired of waiting. i picked up a sinar 810 p in great shape for about the same as the conversion would have been.

i sold my bi because i ended up using my tk45s for most things and the sinar came with a 4x5 conversion. i had no use for a third 4x5.

i like the bi very much but it is an old, out of production camera and sometimes this means hard to find parts and accessories. if you have any specific questions you can contact me privately.