Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Plunged into 8x10 and struck a rock on ebay HELP

Re: Plunged into 8x10 and struck a rock on ebay HELP

Quote Originally Posted by emo supremo View Post
    I did not wish to get a Deardorf because the forum raves about the Tachihara-type 8x10's but it seems one could wait forever for a used one on auction in ebay. But it is a piece of Americana. If only they didn't smell atrocious.
    My Deardorffs do not smell.

JY

Sounds like my recent experience with eBay -- got a RB Graflex and the shutter curtain was missing even though it was claimed to be working. If it feels sketchy, and this certainly sounds like it could be, I'd file a PayPal claim ASAP. It has no negative impact on them if they make good on it, but it sure gets their attention.

You should attempt to get your shipping costs back but other than ethics and guilt, it is hard to get any action on them... you can leave them negative feedback of course, but there isn't a sure-fire reasonable way to claim the $20 -$30 involved.

As some members explained to me and I tend to agree, this is the price we pay for the bargains on eBay -- the prices are lower than from a storefront and the customer service and quality are reflective of that. Not excusing it -- your deal sounds grossly wrong and you have every right to be upset.
    Last edited by Frank Petronio; 23-Mar-2009 at 22:56.

I have had both positive and negative experiences with eBay. The Romans said it best 2000 years ago. Caveat emptor.

The onus is on you.

Brisbane, Australia

My sentiments exactly, bensyverson. Unfortunately, when it's a bad deal you feel like the anus was on you...

That is also true.

I quit purchasing from ebay. I have had nothing but good transactions with real photographers at this and other forums.

Good luck!
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Quote Originally Posted by venchka View Post
    I quit purchasing from ebay. I have had nothing but good transactions with real photographers at this and other forums.

Good luck!
    You're lucky to be on the correct side of the Atlantic... for us Europeans, there's not enough critical mass whiling to depart from their goods to buy directly in Euroland. Unfortunately, evilBay seems the easiest solution.

When I buy cameras on Ebay, as a rule, I only buy from the person who actually owned and used the camera or a reputable place that has a brick and mortar store with a phone number and address. I never buy from power sellers, estate sales etc.. because they don't know anything about the cameras.

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience.

I don't love eBay, but luckily have done very well on the few transactions I've completed. I try to know a lot about what I am buying and look very, very carefully at the photos and descriptions (and don't bid if either isn't revealing enough).

On a five-step scale (user, good, excellent, mint, like new), "good" is only one step up from the bottom.

You're being very equitable. But, the camera should never have been listed in that condition as usable.

Get your money back and go to any length needed to do that. How many feedbacks does the seller have? I've heard EBay retains funds in PayPal for a period of time before granting requests to return money to a bank account for sellers with few feedback. Contact seller and EBay soon; you'll have a better chance of having your money returned.

Good luck, especially since even EBay itself can be unpredictable in how they'll respond.