Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Yosemite in April?

Re: Yosemite in April?

That's right, camp 4 is used by climbers (and as such has been designated a National Historic Landmark). The height of the El Cap wall climbing season is usually in May-June, when the weather is stable but not yet too hot, however, depending on the conditions, people sometimes start in April (that's when I climbed El Cap the first time). Half-Dome's face is usually climbed in summer, as it is higher and north facing.

I remember being impressed by the Half-Dome from the diving board image in the Ansel Adams gallery. It was in the back of the gallery, facing a window in the left. There was a bit of snow at the base of the Half-Dome face. It would seem that having a bit of snow there help delinate the face, which is why Ansel Adams would have gone up there in April, right ?

By the way, Keith's image, when seen large in the Mountain Room is also pretty impressive. It's difficult to appreciate the rock texture and the flowers in the crack on the jpg.

Quote Originally Posted by QT Luong View Post
    I remember being impressed by the Half-Dome from the diving board image in the Ansel Adams gallery. It was in the back of the gallery, facing a window in the left. There was a bit of snow at the base of the Half-Dome face.
    Yes thats the one.I could have sworn it said Frye, but you guys are definately more in the know and my memory ain't what it use to be.I appreciate greatly everyones responses and tips so far.I always learn something when I frequent this site.Its been an invaluable resource since I switched to large format a few years ago.Thanks everyone!

[/QUOTE]I remember being impressed by the Half-Dome from the diving board image in the Ansel Adams gallery. It was in the back of the gallery, facing a window in the left. There was a bit of snow at the base of the Half-Dome face. It would seem that having a bit of snow there help delinate the face, which is why Ansel Adams would have gone up there in April, right ?[QUOTE]

That would be the one. Fred's image has some lovely clouds and rich color. In addition to the snow, I wonder if Ansel might also have been interested in the angle of the light in April. At that time of year, the light rakes across the face at a fairly low angle as it comes out of shadow.

By the way, Keith's image, when seen large in the Mountain Room is also pretty impressive. It's difficult to appreciate the rock texture and the flowers in the crack on the jpg.
    Thanks for the kind words. It was so pretty, I've often thought of going back again.

Can anyone tell me what is it like to sleep in tent cabin (without heater) in Curry Village in the middle of May?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith S. Walklet View Post

That would be the one. Fred's image has some lovely clouds and rich color.
    Wasn't the color quite comparable to the image posted in this thread ? It looked to me like it was shot late in the day.

Curry Village: I assume it would be the same as sleeping in a tent in May. Just fine with a decent sleeping bag.

[/QUOTE]Wasn't the color quite comparable to the image posted in this thread ? It looked to me like it was shot late in the day.[QUOTE]

It is warm, but appears to have been a more subdued than direct sunset light. I don't recall the details. There might have been some haze to the west or simply they departed the ridge before the really intense light that happens at the end of the day. Still, the overall color of the rock is rich and varied, which is a nice surprise given its monochromatic appearance from a distance. I looked to see if Fred's poster was on-line, and it doesn't seem to be anywhere. It is a wonderful image.

Curry Village: I assume it would be the same as sleeping in a tent in May. Just fine with a decent sleeping bag.
    That's accurate. Perhaps a bit warmer in the bag since you're on a mattress, but I find the air temperature when you crawl out is generally cooler since there is a larger space for your body to heat. So I've gotten used to adding a fleece hat to my bedtime attire.

For the most part, the employee tents on that side of the valley are unheated and inhabited fairly early in the season. Back when I worked in housing, we began to set up the employee camps beginning in mid-March.

Quote Originally Posted by Songyun View Post
    Can anyone tell me what is it like to sleep in tent cabin (without heater) in Curry Village in the middle of May?
    It depends on the weather in May!

Actually May is pretty mild in the valley. Mornings can be chilly----but that makes the morning hot coffee that much the better

I'd suggest a tent/cabin-oid at Housekeeping though. They allow campfires which adds to the evening ambience, several sites front the river and you're far away from the boulders which seem to be dropping into Curry from Glacier Point a wee bit too often these days.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

The biggest bears I've ever seen in the Sierra Nevada are usually on "patrol" in Camp Curry at 3am.

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    The biggest bears I've ever seen in the Sierra Nevada are usually on "patrol" in Camp Curry at 3am.
    When I was there it wasn't the bears that were the problem, it was the humans yelling at the top of their lungs 'BEAR BEAR BEAR' then turning their headlights on in their vehicles, honking their horns, and banging pots and pans, at 3am, at 3:20am, at 4:00am, etc.etc..There is no amount of money you could pay me to repeat that stay in upper pines campground.I was severely sleep deprived the whole trip

I'm wondering, is it a similar situation at night at the camp Curry tents?

Yes, but part of it is the time of the year. The heavier tourist season is the heavier bear season. Earlier, or later in the year, less bears and less people who panic. Go in February and early March-no bears and very few people. Of course you may freeze your butt off.

But I knew a person who was there in January and said that somebody was doing the "Bear Scream" because he heard something moving "out there". I guess this proves that you can't always escape the ill-informed