Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Backpack for a Field Cam

Re: Backpack for a Field Cam

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    I kept it in the overhead on the intercontinental portion - no problems there and I don't see why it would be. I kept it on my lap on an internal flight in China.
    my question addresses regional jet overheads. never sat in a regional on an international flight so i agree no problem there. regional jet overheads have about 8 inch depth- maybe a bit more if you put the squeeze on the bag sliding it in.

Hi,

I use Lowepro Naturetrekker for travelling with a 4x5 field camera.
    I have also Pro Trekker, but it is too big for carry-on package (so I cannot take it to the air plane's cabin). The Naturetrekker is just perfect for that.

When I have used pro trekker, I had to put it as checked package. Thus I took camera, lenses and other sensitive stuff to another bag which I took with me to the cabin and filled the pro trekker with clothes etc.
    The pros of Pro Trekker are that it's big. It have lot of space and you can use additional backpack for carrying some clothes, food, ...

Here's some photos of my Naturetrekker setup:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jvuokko...7613415967599/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jvuokko...7613415967599/
    Jukka Vuokko
    Flickr

How about this?

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_pr...ArprtAntdt.php

Frank has one for sale right here in the For Sale area.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Cool Re: Backpack for a Field Cam

Quote Originally Posted by z_photo View Post
    3 carry-ons? bzzzzzzt

my phototrekker is too fat for the regional jet overhead. the moose peyerson bag fits but there is no compartment large enough for the LF. most recently i checked an empty backpack and another bag and carried the LF in a suitably sized carry on. but now most airlines are milking extra cash per checked bag. the ideal solution would be something like the moose bag with a mod to accept the LF camera. there is a better mousetrap of the moose bag but it has the same compartment size problem. i have spent MANY hours shopping and shop on.

Sorry. I wasn't clear. The Photobackpacker and Fishpond cases go inside the normal backpack. On the other hand, a 4x5 field camera may not fit in a regional jet. Period.
    Wayne

Wayne's Blog

z-photo: TAM and GOL, just tell them that it contains a chute........

Peter

I carry the following field kit:

Chamonix 45n-1
    4 lenses on boards
    lightmeter
    7-14 holders
    filters
    lens shade
    feisol tripod (brand new...loving this thing)
    Markins Ballhead
    some other accessories

I have photobacker cases for my Chamonix and Lenses.

I haven't found a photo backpack that is any good. I want my backpack to be light, comfortable, and functional. I typically carrier a Gregory Z65 if its just photo gear: http://www.rei.com/product/773915

I have used this pack for overnight trips, but you have to go ultralight on the non photo gear to be comfortable hiking (no tent, no stove, limited food, etc.). If going on longer treks I opt for my larger pack. Comfort far outweighs speed and function for me, but really its not to bad working a top loading pack in the field. You just have to be more organized.
    Will Wilson
    www.willwilson.com

Steve:

I really like my Photobackpacker system. The customer service is the best I've found.

RF

I like my f64 8x10 backpack that I use for 4x5. I never run out of room, even carrying food and extra clothing, it protected everything perfectly when I fell and landed on it from about 10 feet, it's relatively light when empty (the weight of many photo backpacks even when empty can be disconcerting), and it fits in the overhead compartment of most airplanes. I don't know about regional jets though. If they're like commuter flights the f64 wouldn't fit in their compartments.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Folks,

I use real backpacks & Photobackpacker cases too, an Osprey for day trips and a Dana Astralplane for longer jaunts. Both packs are superb.

HOWEVER....Steve H wants a bag to hold a ton of gear and go in the overhead of a tiny regional commuter plane. Ain't happening from where I'm sitting and remembering trips in Saabs, Fokkers, TU-154s, Twin Otters and (the worst) those tiny umcomfortable Brazilian made torture chambers that Delta uses.

Steve, get a proper backpack and protective innards for your gear and gate check it for the flights on the tiny planes. The airlines will do that for you. Or they did.
    Wayne

Wayne's Blog

I use the MP-3. It has been my workshorse. It fits into every small regional jet overhead that I have been on. It is light, and I can fit my 4x5, 3 lenses and a pro digital with 2-3 lenses plus other needs. There are smaller packs also if you don't need so much room.

If I want to drag along a computer I use a rollon computer case (9" deep) and put it under the seat in front of me.

http://www.moosepeterson.com/gear/index.html#MP1

Jackie