Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tripod Help! Please..for 8x10 Sinar

Tripod Help! Please..for 8x10 Sinar

Can anyone tell which models of Bogen and Gitzo, legs and heads will support my Sinar F 8x10 arriving this week? I have tried researching this but can not find any information. Its very frustrating...

Thank you.
    Scott

Re: Tripod Help! Please..for 8x10 Sinar

Find out how much the camera weighs, more or less, and then visit the Bogen/Manfrotto Interactive Camera Support System Configurator. (not a joke).

Gitzo has that kind of tool as well :

Gitzo Tripod configurator

here

I prefer Gitzo over Manfrotto if you ask me.
    I find their tripod more convenient. It's a personal choice of course.

hope it helps

A 3 or 5 series Gitzo should handle an 8x10" F. Go for the 5, if you plan to use long lenses or shoot close (portrait, tabletop, macro).

I used a large Bogen for a long time, taking to heart all of the suggestions about what's adequate. In the field, when I'd be changing locations and carrying the tripod on my shoulder with the 8x Deardorff mounted, it dug into my shoulder mercilessly. 20 yrs. ago I took it as paying dues. Getting re-introduced more recently and taking this pair into the field, I got the same shoulder bruises, but at 60 I'm not inclined to put up with it anymore.

For my 4x5, though, I happened to have just gotten a Feisol carbon fiber tripod which weighs something like 3lbs, and it occurred to me to give it a try with the Deardorff, even though this model (3342) is not rated as being adequate for 8x10 weight. To my surprise, though, it functioned pretty well, and walking a distance with the outfit on the shoulder is way more manageable. Its a top heavy arrangement, and the center column is not usable, but as long as the three legs were positioned to distribute the weight evenly, it works just fine for the standard positions. I wouldn't go out on any windy cliffs with it, but I'm not doing a lot of that lately anyway.

The point being that its important to look at the charts and forum suggestions, but its still a good idea to try out other ideas for the hell of it. I definitely prefer a rigid tripod, having kicked legs and having to recompose many times, it just gives a feeling of reassurance to have a solid base. But I also don't like restraints to my creative impulses, such as physical pain.

JY

I prefer an Reis for my 8x10 and 4x5 cameras.

http://www.riestripod.com/

I do own many Gitzo tripods, but for LF, I prefer wood.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Terence

It depends how much you're willing to spend. I have a Gitzo 1340 and a Feisol3371 that can easily handle it. The Gitzo is a silky smooth, finely crafted instrument. The Feisol is light, sturdy and inexpensive, but workman-like.

If I have access to a vehicle. The Gitzo comes along. If I'm car-less or far from the road, the Feisol goes.

You can go smaller but a having a heavier metal Gitzo 4 or 5-series and the Sinar Pan-Tilt head is probably the most secure choice (or the $$$ Gitzo 1500-series CF). I'm clumsy and a big, heavy tripod keeps the camera from moving about when inserting holders, etc.

The ultimate is to have a second lighter one for hiking...

I use a Gitzo 1500 with a Gitzo 1570M head for my Canham 8x10 and it's rock solid. Not the lightest tripod, but not the heaviest, either. If you want a lighter tripod, look at the Feisol 3372 - very sturdy and very light (maximum load 12kg, weight 1.72kg. You can get one from Really Big Cameras, run by LFF member Kerry Thalmann.

I'll second Frank's recommendation of the Sinar pan-tilt head. First, it was designed for the task, and second, it's reasonably compact. Works beautifully in balance with your Norma.