I am a little confused as to the best way to handle filters on the 150mm SSXL, or for that matter, the 72mm SAXL. My understanding is that it is best to keep the center filter next to the lens to preserve Schneider's radial graduated density at the designed distance from the lens front. That means that any filter I want to add to the CF has to have either a 110mm screw ring, and I'm not having much luck finding polarizers of that size, or using the Cokin system that has an adapter that goes up to 118mm (push on, o.d of the CF is 115mm). Apparently Lee tops out at 105mm for their biggest adapter and 100mm width on their filters which won't quite cover. It sounds like the Cokin system can work, as it will hold a polarizer and an ND grad which is what I figure I'll use most commonly, or an ND grad and an appropriate B&W filter. The problem I'm having (aside from the expense), is it seems to me that I have read some criticisms of the Cokin filters as not being up to the quality of some of the other manufacturers, and I'd rather not sink a lot of money into an inferior system. Are there any Cokin users out there who can refute the question of the quality of the Cokin filters? And of course, is there some other way I can game this system to achieve appropriate filtration? I don't think I can really forgo the CF all the time as I use the 150mm as a wide for 8x10 and the 72mm for 5x7 and usually shoot chromes so I'm afraid light falloff might be too big a problem without the CF.
Thoughts or advice?
LJS