Thread: graflex series D reflex

graflex series D reflex

just got my first 8-10 4x5 negs back.

wow.

what a camera. everything I ever wanted for portraiture!
    Ektachrome 64 x wishes and Tech Pan Dreams

Re: graflex series D reflex

Yep the Series D is fun.

Good for you.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

For my particular applications, a D is an optimal camera. Easy to travel with (as it does not require a case) and with a high speed focal plane shutter (great for barrel mount soft focus lenses), it's very fast to use. Initially I found it unhandy to carry in the field but then added a Gitzo monopod to steady longer exposures and, viola, an easy was to carry it over my shoulder.

Had Grimes put a modern rotating back on mine...

My only substantial wish: a longer range of focal lengths possible (no way to use a moderately wide angle, for instance). I DO use longer focal lengths, sacrificing the possibility of close focus for better 'reach' on landscapes.

Russ

/agree its a great camera
    /agree sturdy monopods are great under it.

I'm not sure why you would want a wide angle, since any wide angle lens would be retro-focus, large, dim, and just plain wrong.

Q: what lens are you using with it?
    I have a superD, I have the 190mm Ektar with auto-stop down, a 180mm and 210mm xenars, and a 380mm tele-raptar (highly reccomend!)

For some reach, try a Tele-Optar or Tele-Raptar. Both are telephotos designed for use with press cameras. Some are in barrel and some in a redy-set shutter. The 15 inch and the 10 inch both come up on e-bay at times.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I managed to break my series D shutter rather quickly.. the tension knob has lost tension at settings 1 and 2, think i turned the knob past 6 on accident.. maybe I should send it to fred lustig. anyone know where a repair manual is?

I also bought a super D yesterday which I am very excited about..
    Ektachrome 64 x wishes and Tech Pan Dreams

Quote Originally Posted by sgelb View Post
    I managed to break my series D shutter rather quickly.. the tension knob has lost tension at settings 1 and 2, think i turned the knob past 6 on accident.. maybe I should send it to fred lustig. anyone know where a repair manual is?

I also bought a super D yesterday which I am very excited about..
    There is nothing there that can't be fixed quite easily with a screwdriver...if it already doesn't work you've got nothing to lose by trying. You'll find whatever situation you have well covered if you search reflex help at graflex.org --plenty of interesting reading there.

If yours is an early D, you do need to test the shutter speeds. Higher tension settings probably do not affect the speed much at all. If it works at 3; I suggest just using that tension. It is not possible to turn tension past 6 accidentally.

Service manuals for Speed Graphics are helpful, it's the same shutter. There are some at
    http://www.southbristolviews.com/
    Mike Butkus has the National Camera focal plane shutter manual for nominal fee
    butkus.org
    Jo Lommen has a useful page
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~lommen9/graflex/Series%20B.html

I can email you Bert Saunder's shutter pages, or contact him directly at graflex.org

You'll love your Super D and might neglect the Series D!

The 10" Tele-Raptar/Optar is a fantastic lens for the Graflex. The 15" is a real beast, and only focuses as close as about 20'.
    Getting to the aperture adjustment for either of them is a real bitch (there were a few made with extended apreture rings just for the Graflex, but they rarely come up on ebay).
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)