Page 441 of 696 FirstFirst ... 341391431439440441442443451491541 ... LastLast
Results 4,401 to 4,410 of 6958

Thread: What did you compose at Waters Edge?

Re: What did you compose at Waters Edge?

Fox tracks across frozen wetlands

Sinar F, Schneider 180mm, Fuji Acros / Tanol

Excellent David; I am looking forward to snow returning here. We had a wicked November but it's been dry since.

I was trying my new 150mm Sironar yesterday. Tmax 100, Tmax dev., Tachihara 4x5, 75+150mm

Winter evening 1 by sdzsdz, on Flickr

Winter evening 2 by sdzsdz, on Flickr

Thanks jp.

sdzsdz - both are excellent, and I particularly like the second where I get a sense of the breadth and movement of the river.

Love the moon in the first one.

Morning sun over bog, Berkeley Twp., NJ. I made three exposures so I could try different development techniques, thinking that this would be a bear to print. But the first one developed in D-23 1:3 prints fine on grade 2.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img1359_resized.jpg  
    Where are we going?
    And why are we in this handbasket?

www.josephoharaphotography.com

Warm winter day in Pincher Creek, Alberta, Canada
    4x5 Ilford Delta 100, Home developed in HC110.

Quote Originally Posted by thesilverfox View Post
    Warm winter day in Pincher Creek, Alberta, Canada. 4x5 Ilford Delta 100, Home developed in HC110.
    A quiet peaceful image.

Looks like the snow has just fallen.

And those chilly stones want to shake the snow from their scalps!

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Potter View Post
    Jason, very nice soft focus image. Here is a sharp focus image from Schoodic Point Maine showing the glacier polished bedrock the the end of the point. My Technikardan 45 with a 75 mm Nikon. f/45 using three Velvia 100F chromes. Oct. 2, 2012.

4510-2-12-5_H)ACF[t2 by hypolimnas, on Flickr

Nate Potter, Austin TX.
    Nicely done, Nate. I really like the patterns of the foreground and the sky and the Velvia pops well.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rosenberg View Post
    Nate,

A slight correction of your image description. The rock is igneous granite with basalt (uplifted), and was polished by wave action. The basalt is softer, and is easily eroded leaving gaps between the granite. During storms the waves will come all the way up to the parking lot. About 5 years ago a young woman standing neer the water was swept off her feet by a rouge wave and drowned (on a nice sunny summer day) You probably noticed the deep chasms between granite tables, that is where there was basalt. This is how Thunder Hole formed on the coast directly opposite from where you were standing.

Very nice image. It is very hard to organize a photograph at that point.

Mike
    Michael, I agree with some wave action but I think very minor. Probably more polish by the tidal movement of cobbles across the surface of the bedrock (not currently but in recent geologic time).

After spending a lot of time in the general area I've come to my own conclusions about the polished granite bedrock sheets in the general area.

First of all there are a number of striking examples where the black basalt has eroded at the same rate as the country rock granite, so I tend to believe that the basalt and granite are of similar hardness (in most cases). Also where the basalt has been removed faster than the surrounding granite (which is most frequent), the removed pieces are most often in angular chunk morphology, so I believe have been removed by abrasive action and frost heaving at the basalt/granite interface. This thought was shared by a number of visiting geologists that I've hung out with. Examples I've studied and photographed have included sites along the shore of Mt. Desert Island, Schoodic subsection (as shown), Grindstone Neck at Winter Harbour and at McClelland Park in Millbridge.

Additionally there are a number of granitic surfaces which clearly show the striations from glacial movement along the bedrock surfaces. The striations are intriguing given that during glaciation the current shore was 150 to 200 feet below sea level; most recently during the localized advancement of ice about 11,000 years ago.

If I can find it I'll post an image of the black basalt imbeded in granite which shows about identical erosion rates of the granite and basalt. In that image the basalt/granite interface was very well sealed so neither abrasion nor frost has lifted the basalt.

Some terrific photographic locations along the shores.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.