Page 188 of 697 FirstFirst ... 88138178186187188189190198238288688 ... LastLast
Results 1,871 to 1,880 of 6963

Thread: What did you compose at Waters Edge?

Re: What did you compose at Water’s Edge?

Quote Originally Posted by ImSoNegative View Post
    great shot, what lens did you use here?
    Oops, I didn't realize left that out. It's my nikor 120sw, with out a doubt my most used lens for 8x10.

Fish-Houses-#1
    This is an area North of Fort Myers Florida, Pine Island Sound. These are old ice houses that now serve as cottages for those lucky enough to own one. They are known today as Fish Houses because they are used as fishing camps. If the pilings are ever destroyed by a tropical storm they can't be rebuilt. I don't photograph many buildings but these were irresistible. The morning I made this image it was perfect conditions.

Ebony SLW810, Velvia 50, nikor 120sw.

John, wonderful shot, really like it!

Just out of curiosity, based on your statement about the fact they can't be rebuilt, does this mean these are not insurable by the owners?

Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    John, wonderful shot, really like it!

Just out of curiosity, based on your statement about the fact they can't be rebuilt, does this mean these are not insurable by the owners?
    I would guess you can't get typical homeowners insurance but there is always some expensive exotic insurance available. These are pretty basic structures, you can only get to them by boat, and I don't know if they run them off of generator or if they have underwater power lines.

They have been rebuilt over and over but they have to stay on the existing structure and original design.

In the Miami area there is a group of condemned, and falling down fish houses. I guess the DOEC wouldn't let them rebuild after one of the major Hurricanes. They call it Stiltsville but I haven't gotten there to photograph them yet.

John,

Have been enjoying your images. Your use of wide angles is very nice. (Makes me glad you are a participant in the folio exchange.) I use my wide angles (Nikkor 150 SW and 110XL) so rarely as I have a hard time seeing that wide, but your work is giving me some inspiration to try them more. Thanks. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becia View Post
    John,

Have been enjoying your images. Your use of wide angles is very nice. (Makes me glad you are a participant in the folio exchange.) I use my wide angles (Nikkor 150 SW and 110XL) so rarely as I have a hard time seeing that wide, but your work is giving me some inspiration to try them more. Thanks. Jim
    Thanks Jim, I'm looking forward to the exchange!

I have the Nikkor 150sw also but I don't use it very often, nice lens with lots of coverage but not as wide as I like. Now if I had that 110xl I would probably be using it.

Nice image, Adam. You got the shutter speed spot on for freezing the waves farther out nicely, but getting just enough blur on the breaking one. I also like the sliver of water showing beteen the top of the docka andthe far shoreline. Good work!

Quote Originally Posted by adamc View Post
    This is the Hovland Dock in Hovland, Mn. Lake Supierior near the Canadian border.
    There is a little box nearby where you can drop money to help fix it. I don't know much of the history, but it's one of my favorite to places to visit up there. Taken with my Speed Graphic, 135mm graflex optar, Tri-X.

(scanned print)

Quote Originally Posted by John Brady View Post
    Fish-Houses-#1
    This is an area North of Fort Myers Florida, Pine Island Sound. These are old ice houses that now serve as cottages for those lucky enough to own one. They are known today as Fish Houses because they are used as fishing camps. If the pilings are ever destroyed by a tropical storm they can't be rebuilt. I don't photograph many buildings but these were irresistible. The morning I made this image it was perfect conditions.

Ebony SLW810, Velvia 50, nikor 120sw.
    I Like this a lot , And i think i am nitpicking but the burnt in area at the bottom right looks a little out of whack with sky , and on my monitor has a red leading to magenta fringe from where you have not colour corrected the burn edges , Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Tarbert View Post
    I Like this a lot , And i think i am nitpicking but the burnt in area at the bottom right looks a little out of whack with sky , and on my monitor has a red leading to magenta fringe from where you have not colour corrected the burn edges , Cheers
    Hi Gary, it probably has more to do with converting for web. The original is adobe 98, 16 bit. The web is converted to srgb, 8 bit, jpeg smallish. I don't see it in large print, just looks black.

Adam Costello

Thanks, h2oman and ImSoNegative!