Page 569 of 696 FirstFirst ... 69469519559567568569570571579619669 ... LastLast
Results 5,681 to 5,690 of 6958

Thread: What did you compose at Waters Edge?

Re: What did you compose at Waters Edge?

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Thanks jp. I definitely try to put more emphasis on composition and the "whole scene" when shooting these creeks, though it can be difficult. The light was really great yesterday though which made this work.

Even if I shot 400-speed film, most of these scenes would still be around the 1-second mark. I think 1/8 is a great water shutter speed, but it's not often I can use it.

Eric, I'm glad you didn't fall in! Let me know about Sunday morning. Weather as of now looks good. We could meet at the Dahlonega Wal-Mart.
    Someone other shooters have used multiple short exposures rather than one long exposure for a different look of the water. Something to try if your shutter is self cocking or camera is really locked down.

Thanks for the feedback--I'm 6'6" and don't "hunker" as well as I once did, so squaring up to the GG under field conditions has proved to be a challenge. At any rate, good glass is hard to argue with...

jp, I did that once with a self-cocking shutter on 6x9 and liked the results. I have a self-cocking 150mm G-Claron...but no wides.

CB, yeah it's hard enough for my 6' self to get situated, I can't imagine being another half foot! For this shot, I had to bushwack back to the confluence of this creek and another - I found out today the "trail" fords the creek, which I didn't do, and so I was on goat trails and bushwacking for a half mile. Almost fell down a large hill a few times .
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Here is how Corran gets those low midstream shots. I tried it, it really works for even f8 lenses.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    Here is how Corran gets those low midstream shots.
    Ha, who needs a reflex viewer? I think I'd better hold on to my Pentax 67 with its chimney finder for those occasions--with a fast lens, especially, it's pretty handy to operate.

I actually have a reflex viewer for my Linhof but I don't tend to hike with that camera and I wouldn't bring the reflex viewer anyway. I lean more towards the "bring less, go farther" philosophy.

When I shoot my Pentax 67ii* I often pop off the prism to look at the composition directly, especially since I've gotten burned many times by the 90% viewfinder coverage (I'm picky with my compositions, as I mentioned). I have the pop-up waist-level finder but often forget to bring it.

*Don't do this with the older 6x7 models!! It can break your meter chain.

I've recently begun to experiment with a press shutter...for ocean waves and brooks/waterfalls, sometimes using a series of constant-speed exposures (typically multiples of slowish speeds like 1/15th, 1/8th, 1/4) - with other series of mixed longer exposures - like two or three one second exposures, added to perhaps one much longer (one to three minute) exposure. Exciting to try this...but to be honest, I haven't been all that thrilled by results so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Nice water motion Peter.

Here is another one from a scouting trip to a new trail.

Canada Creek Confluence
    Chamonix 45n1, Nikkor 90mm f/8, TMX, FX-39

I really like the exposure in this one...

1897 Ak-sar-ben Camera - Kodak Commercial Ektar 300mm- f/45 - Fomapan 100 - 8x10 Film - HC110 1+100 - Unaltered Negative Scan

Thank you Holden.

Another shot from Canada Creek, on a second outing with users esearing and Kerosene Hat. Eric graciously let me use his camera and bum a few sheets of film from him since I was shooting my ULF camera instead but saw a couple little scenes that worked better on 4x5.

Here's the first one. Chamonix 45n2, Schneider SA 90mm f/8, Delta 100, FX-39 (overdeveloped because I absentmindedly used TMX times, but pulled down a bit in the scan - probably need a slightly softer filter for printing):

What intrigued me was the shapes and lines, and then the glowing leaves across the creek from the color changing.