Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Wild Idea for Next-Gen LF

Re: Wild Idea for Next-Gen LF

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    Indeed, it was well known to the Hindenburg's engineers that helium is not inflammable. Didn't you know it? Contrary to your idea of engineering they didn't just "try" hydrogen to see if it is inflammable or not and if the idea of using hydrogen is feasible. As true engineers they knew it before. The hydrogen was used because helium was so expensive as to be unavailable in their time. Didn't you know it?
    Ok, so let me see if I, being so clueless and nonsensical that I am, understand this correctly: they chose to hang a hundred or so people underneath a huge, hydrogen-filled flying contraption even though they knew that hydrogen is flammable? And they did it simply because the safe substitute was too expensive?

Truly ingenious!

Except maybe for a small, nagging question: didn't it occur to them that it might not be such a great idea after all?

Didn't it occur to you that this was the real question I was asking?

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    As I said - nonsense you can defend only with more nonsense, never with correct logic. That logic is also used in true engineering...
    As you have just so aptly demonstrated...

If the sensor was of adequate resolution to judge focus as a ground glass, why wouldn't you simply use use the sensor to record the image? How would this be that much different in actual application to a scanning back and a laptop?

(The real flaw with the Hindenburg was the aluminum powdered paint, not the hydrogen)

Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    If the sensor was of adequate resolution to judge focus as a ground glass, why wouldn't you simply use use the sensor to record the image? How would this be that much different in actual application to a scanning back and a laptop?

(The real flaw with the Hindenburg was the aluminum powdered paint, not the hydrogen)
    Yes, that's the real question. The only difference I can see is that it would in effect be a single-shot sensor, not a scanning back, which would be even better.

(Without the hydrogen, the Hindenburg wouldn't have burned. Alumin(i)um powder acted as a catalyst, not as fuel.)

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    Ok, so let me see if I, being so clueless and nonsensical that I am, understand this correctly: they chose to hang a hundred or so people underneath a huge, hydrogen-filled flying contraption even though they knew that hydrogen is flammable? And they did it simply because the safe substitute was too expensive?

Truly ingenious!

Except maybe for a small, nagging question: didn't it occur to them that it might not be such a great idea after all?

Didn't it occur to you that this was the real question I was asking?

As you have just so aptly demonstrated...

Do you really feel so superior to the Zeppelin engineers as you speak? Really? You take them for fools? The huge hydrogen things made a real history in aviation, like it or not. Fools according to you? Never ending your collection...

Actually, yes, I do. That's the least I would consider anybody who can't be bothered to consider the implications and consequences of his grand ideas, especially when people die because of it. As well as anybody who sees nothing wrong with that.

And I also feel immensely bo(the)red by your incessant ranting. Please, enough of this silliness, go get a life or something. Game over, as far as I'm concerned. Go harass somebody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    Actually, yes, I do. That's the least I would consider anybody who can't be bothered to consider the implications and consequences of his grand ideas, especially when people die because of it. As well as anybody who sees nothing wrong with that.

And I also feel immensely bo(the)red by your incessant ranting. Please, enough of this silliness, go get a life or something. Game over, as far as I'm concerned. Go harass somebody else.
    You consider yourself superior to Zeppelin engineers... Congratulation, that, hopefully, was the last one from your collection.

I am not sure, but I am willing to bet there was a bunch of Nationalism and oneupmanship also involved in the decision-making process with the Zeppelins...enough, anyway to overcome the more conservative safety-minded (and suspeciously less than desired patriotic) engineers.

Not too dissimilar to scientists (such as fisheries biologists) making recommendations, then the legislators making the decisions based on what's best for the local contributions, I mean economy.

Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I am not sure, but I am willing to bet there was a bunch of Nationalism and oneupmanship also involved in the decision-making process with the Zeppelins...enough, anyway to overcome the more conservative safety-minded (and suspeciously less than desired patriotic) engineers.

Vaughn
    Actually, it was. Not dissimilar to the Kennedy's highly proclaimed patriotic reasons when he "started" the man to the Moon project. Nothing bad with that. Zeppelins had an excellent safety record up to the H. catastrophe. If I'm not mistaken the record was much better than for airplanes in that time! And its construction was on such a high level that when a new Zepp was done, 10 years ago or so, in Switzerland (?) its engineers didn't change it in a great detail, except for materials. Quite the contrary - they marveled over the achievements of their predecessors in many details. The classical engineering reached an excellent level long before we were born. Unfortunately, helium was out of reach in that time, were it not, they would embrace it and the Zepp era would probably be not interrupted up to our time, when it was again rediscovered. Amazing things, human ideas in engineering...

Well, you know what they say; Eventually all internet discussions about digital displays on the back of large format cameras eventually break down into bitter arguments about the Hindenburg disaster. I see it all the time, it's such a shame.

^ lol