Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Wild Idea for Next-Gen LF

Re: Wild Idea for Next-Gen LF

To put it the other way: the real question is not: why try something new. It is: why not?

What's the worst that can happen? It's not like it's going to somehow replace film, now, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    To put it the other way: the real question is not: why try something new. It is: why not?
    I'd rather waste my time being a photographer, using what works.

Seriously, go hammer yourself together a big camera made of redwood and canvas if it makes you feel grand, meanwhile I think those of us who are able to embrace progressive technology into our workflows would be just ripped to the tits to be able to chat about it...

Quote Originally Posted by aphexafx View Post
    Everyone who is spending their time posting here arguing for traditional methods and simpler cameras: Can you imagine for a minute that there are other areas in photography besides wheat fields and mountian-scapes? That’s fantastic, please, move on. The OP wanted to discuss his idea and also the progression of technology for LF photography...
    I generally photograph people. You are quite right however on the other point, and I assume Marko will be around to deride anything remotely positive about film in many threads to come . My apologies to the OP for my part in the diversion. Carry on.

Does the name Hindenburg ring a bell somewhere behind all that hyperventilation?

The fact that hydrogen is explosively flammable and that helium is not never occurred to the genius who came up with an idea to design a lighter-than-air flying machine! Oops, a bunch of people burned to death...

How about Titanic? That particular genius thought 1,200-seat lifeboat capacity was plenty for a ship that takes 3500 people. Oops, 1,500 people dead.

Or perhaps Apollo 1? Three people dead because the hatch was designed to open only inwards. Oops.

All examples of great forethought and creative prowess... Plenty more in recent history.

No, but that's why you're here, following me around and yapping at every turn.

Dude, go get a life!
    Indeed, it was well known to the Hindenburg's engineers that helium is not inflammable. Didn't you know it? Contrary to your idea of engineering they didn't just "try" hydrogen to see if it is inflammable or not and if the idea of using hydrogen is feasible. As true engineers they knew it before. The hydrogen was used because helium was so expensive as to be unavailable in their time. Didn't you know it?

Is it known to you that name calling is not allowed in posts on this forum? Or do you just try to beef up your special ideas about engineering with name calling?
    As I said - nonsense you can defend only with more nonsense, never with correct logic. That logic is also used in true engineering...

Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    I generally photograph people. You are quite right however on the other point, and I assume Marko will be around to deride anything remotely positive about film in many threads to come . My apologies to the OP for my part in the diversion. Carry on.
    JBrunner, just to be clear, no offence to you personally was intended from my posts above.

You have made some good points, Marco...and have stretched a few points, too, but then so have I. And I have tried (but failed) to include the probability that there are those who will master any tool and be able to use them creatively.

And, of course, have dissenting opinions brandied about is a good thing -- otherwise one ends up with such things as wars, labor saving devices that just take up space, and that sort of things.

Tools, by their design, determine how one uses them. The shape of the blade and type of handle of a shovel will determine how one digs the hole. The more specialized the tool, the less versitile it becomes. So I will leave it at that before I dig too deep of a hole! Thanks for the exchange!

Vaughn

[...] and I assume Marko will be around to deride anything remotely positive about film in many threads to come
    You know what people say about assumptions and those who make them, right?

I'd rather waste my time being a photographer, using what works.
    I don't doubt. But then, why are we having this conversation? Who's deriding whom here? Seriously, what's wrong with APUG? There's enough anti-technology bitching going on over there to cover several life times, why do you have to bring it here? Is it just to shoot down a discussion you claim you're not interested in?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    You have made some good points, Marco...and have stretched a few points, too, but then so have I. And I have tried (but failed) to include the probability that there are those who will master any tool and be able to use them creatively.

And, of course, have dissenting opinions brandied about is a good thing -- otherwise one ends up with such things as wars, labor saving devices that just take up space, and that sort of things.

Tools, by their design, determine how one uses them. The shape of the blade and type of handle of a shovel will determine how one digs the hole. The more specialized the tool, the less versitile it becomes. So I will leave it at that before I dig too deep of a hole! Thanks for the exchange!

Vaughn
    Thank you for being civil and reasonable, always a pleasure to talk with someone like that, even if we do not necessarily agree.

And yes, it is so much better to confront ideas than people. Ideas do get stretched in the discussion and there must be at least something valid about those that do not break in the process...

Marko

You know what people say about assumptions and those who make them, right?

I don't doubt. But then, why are we having this conversation? Who's deriding whom here? Seriously, what's wrong with APUG? There's enough anti-technology bitching going on over there to cover several life times, why do you have to bring it here? Is it just to shoot down a discussion you claim you're not interested in?
    I said I probably wouldn't be interested in the product, but I am actually interested in the discussion, which I will most likely continue to follow. An opinion isn't anti anything. I'm not however interested in your agenda, which is always adversarial, and has little do do with anything other than dragging up your cherished grindstones. I'd like to see the subject continue on topic.

"troll bait rejected"