Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 5x7 camera, new to LF, advice please for lenses

www.reallybigcameras.com

Re: 5x7 camera, new to LF, advice please for lenses

Quote Originally Posted by rwestbrook View Post
    I appreciate any info you may have about this, like how old the camera and lenses are.

The lenses are:
    • Rodenstock - Weitwinkel - Aplanat 1:12 f - 12cm No. 505145
    • G. Rodenstock Munchen Rekti-Aplanat 1:8 f = 21cm No. 105986
    • C.P. Georz Berlin No.203674 DOPP - Anastigmat. Serie III. Dagor F=180mm 1:6,8
    Robert,

You've already gotten quite a few responses about the camera, so I'll provide a little info about some of the lenses.

Based on the serial number, the Weitwinkel (Wide Angle) Aplanat was made in the early 1930s, around 1931 or 1932. The Rekti-Aplanat was made about a decade later, around 1941.

The Goerz Doppel Anastigmat is older. Based on the serial number, it was made around 1906 or 1907.

I suspect the camera is even older, as glass plates started to fall out of favor as sheet film became more readily available.

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras

If it is half plate, it can be made a dual-format film camera by easily building 5x7 and 4x5 backs, using the parts from old backs. I have one such camera, and have done this. I have uploaded the photos of the camera several times here: I'll do it again for convenience.

The back you have is for book-form holders, which were not standard, but made for specific cameras. I have adapted some for my original half-plate back, but you need a table router to do it...

4x5 back (inserted as left-handed)

5x7 back

The original half-plate back with a bookform holder inserted

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    where are you located?

i have several of these holders. i am trying to figure out what to call them so i can sell them. does the camera have a name on it?

eddie
    I'm in Norfolk, VA. The camera does not have a name on it, nor does it look like it ever had any kind of label. I might be interested in the holders suited for film. Do you have any photos of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Garcia View Post
    If it is half plate, it can be made a dual-format film camera by easily building 5x7 and 4x5 backs, using the parts from old backs. I have one such camera, and have done this. I have uploaded the photos of the camera several times here: I'll do it again for convenience.
    Rafael,
    That's a beautiful camera! What material did you use for the 5x7 back in white? Did you use any particular online resources for guidance in making the new backs?

Minimum work was involved with that one: It's a 5x7 Burke & James back that I adapted with my router, making the lightrap edge wider. I believe I also cut it down in size a bit. I got lazy and decided not to strip the gray paint, so I painted it white instead. I also removed the metal door and hood combo because it got in my way. The 4x5 back I built almost completely, and adapted a GG screen that I had around to it, from an unknown camera.

The parts I got from eBay, pretty inexpensively.

I am presently building an 8x10, and that one is totally from scratch, including the back. I am adapting concepts from several cameras and trying some of my own ideas.