Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Large Format Portraiture.....viable?

Re: Large Format Portraiture.....viable?

I don't really shoot LF yet, so I have no experience yet in shooting portraits with LF but the talk about it is something I could not resist. I think many of us saw many great portraits done with LF gear, as we saw with any other format for that matter. I think that the smaller formats are much easier to shoot portraits with than with LF. In my opinion it has something to do with the focal length / angle of view of the lenses available for the larger formats and with the distance between photographer and subject that is closer with LF than with the smaller formats. So in my view the distance relation of photographer - model - background will have to be another one for shooting 35mm or digital than with LF. Maybe that is part of the problem. It seems to me that it is possible, but harder to achieve. Ultimately, I see a LF camera more suitable for landscape and architecture than for portraits where a 35mm or a 6x6 would work better. I also think that each format has it's strengths and weak points, and this application is not where LF has its strong points.
    Rgards, Stefan

BTW, where is nice comparison of the prints from 1DsMIII and 20x24 camera at http://photo.net/equipment/canon/1Ds_markIII/ I didn't hear so far that Elsa quit making portraits with her 20x24 after this test. She still charge many $k for on one click of her Polaroid camera. I'll guess that she could make more $$$ and more easily just clicking 1DsMIII and printing instantly on ipf6100 for the same amount of time, that she spends behind and front of her 20x24 camera just for one click

Viable it is, of course!

Richard Avedon, Yousuf Karsh, Arnold Newman, just to name a few, proved it, long ago.
    I've done some portraits with 4x5 and 8x10 cameras, however, I think that medium format reflex cameras are more suitable for portrait, they give much more freedom to shoot, change angles and composition fast as they don't force you to use a tripod.
    These portraits would be very hard to do with a LF camera at least, to me...

this was done with 8x10 i guess? saw this Karsh work today at AIC for third time.

I love this frame,
    you do great work Nana.

Quote Originally Posted by Nana Sousa Dias View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Allen in Montreal View Post
    I love this frame,
    you do great work Nana.
    Thank you, Allen.

There was a photogrpaher in my town who specialized in platinum LF contact prints (11x14 IIRC) marketed through high end boutiques that sold 'spensive frocks to wealthy moms and grandmoms. She made a killing at it. Of course that was back when people had money
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Nana Sousa Dias View Post

Damn.... makes me wonder if I really know how to use my Hasselblad.

Nana:

There are a very few people who make black and white photographs that cause me to think "I wish I could do that!" You are one of them...

And where do you get these ridiculously gorgeous models?? Just ain't fair...
    Stop making me question my skills!

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    Damn.... makes me wonder if I really know how to use my Hasselblad.

Nana:

There are a very few people who make black and white photographs that cause me to think "I wish I could do that!" You are one of them...

And where do you get these ridiculously gorgeous models?? Just ain't fair...
    Stop making me question my skills!
    Ahahahah!

Thank you, Cobalt.

I sold my Hasselblad 500 C/M 10 years ago and bought a Pentax 67. Hasselblad was too expensive, I couldn't afford to buy lenses, backs and other gadgets for it but, now, I miss it. Anyway I bought a Rolleiflex, wich is much cheaper and has the same lens. I love that camera!

I like to keep it simple! These 3 photos were shot with a Pentax 67 and a 135mm macro lens, my favourite portrait lens, the film was Kodak T400 CN, a film many guys dislike, I like it for portrait. I use this Chromogenic film when I shoot many films and want it developed quickly, otherwise, I use HP5+ or Tri-x and process it myself.
    I used my old Multiblitz Magnolite 3200, just one softbox 1mx1m.
    As to the models, it's very simple, one of them is a singer, the other is a dancer. As I am a professional musician (for 27 years) I deal with many dancers, musicians, singers, etc. Sometimes, I shoot studio sessions for them, because they often need photos for their books, promotion material, etc.