Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attaching a imacon back to a 4x5

Attaching a imacon back to a 4x5

So I have been looking at 4x5 cameras and have decided that I will be using my Imacon 96c back on a view camera. I am having a hard time figuring out how to attach it to any view camera. from what i have read it seems very possible but I can not find a adapter or back that would allow the back to be attached to any camera. Does anyone have experience or advice or product that would help me?

Thank you!

Re: Attaching a imacon back to a 4x5

In general, the makers of the digital backs provide adaptor plates to attach their backs to popular cameras. Have you tried contacting Imacon? or have you looked at their web site?

What make/model is your camera? Anyway, Hasselblad might be able to point you...

I have a Hasselblad H1. It looks like I may need to get the i-adopter for the V camera. I can not seem to find this adapter and then once I have it how would this then attach to a view camera. I think I am looking for someone that has actually set up a system like this.

What kind of view camera are you thinking of using? If you look at the Linhof, Sinar and other websites you will see that they sell specific adapters for each back to allow you to fit them onto their cameras. There are also a few other suppliers who sell adapters which can be made to fit a range of cameras and backs.

Bear in mind that swings/tilts etc are much more subtle with a digital back than with 4x5 film so a camera with finely geared movements will be helpful. Once you have decided on a specific camera then I'm sure you will be able to locate the correct adapter plates.

David Whistance

I was asking about the make of your view camera. This will play a large part in determining what you need to mount your Imacon to it.

I am actually trying to decide on the camera that will best fit my back before I buy one. So its still up in the air so to speak. I am also looking for something used so an older model. The TECHNIKARDAN S 45 looks great! But not sure if I will be using it enough to justify the expense.

Graham,

You can buy any brand of view camera you like. I have an Imacon 132C with a Hasselblad V mount, and I use it with a Sinar, a Cambo WideDS and a Wista 45D. You need to buy a Graflok adapter with a Hasselblad H1 mount. All the DB manufacturers make such adapters. Keep an eye on eBay.

Kumar

Thank you its starting to make sense now. If I bough the Toyo View stationary adapter then I would be limited to Toyo cameras correct? http://www.adorama.com/TY180407.html

This LF world is some what confusing! 35 and Medium just came so naturally! Think it will be worth the education though!

One more question if I attached the back via the Toyo adapter how do I trigger the back? I am guessing that is what the 2 sockets are for on the left hand of the back that I have never used.

Yes, you can use the Toyo View adapter, but it would be limited to Toyo cameras. The Graflok is better, in case you want to change cameras later. The price should be about the same, and selling the Toyo adapter would be more difficult. To trigger the back you need to attach a mini-phone type flash synchro cord from the lens' flash socket to one of the sockets on the back. You should have got two such cords with your back - one long and one short.

Kumar