Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question About Nick Brandt's Post Process + David Burdeny's Work

Question About Nick Brandt's Post Process + David Burdeny's Work

Does anyone know how Nick Brandt creates his images (for the best images (you can zoom on Artmo), go to http://www.artmo.com/Artists/nick+brandt/)? I take it there's some post work done, correct?

His work is absolutely gorgeous, yet I'm still warming up to the idea of touching up photos in post for some reason. I'm thinking there might be a slight possibility that the images are untouched and that somebody here would know the answer.

Also, does anyone know the overall price range for David Burdeny's work? [Again, for the best images go to Artmo – you can zoom in for greater detail.] I know the economy sucks right now, yet I very badly want to own a piece from his Antarctic series. Hoping someone here knows this too before having to approach an actual dealer – sticker shock.

Thanks All!
    Last edited by robbiear; 19-Feb-2009 at 11:55. Reason: Specific Title

Re: Nick Brandt + David Burdeny's Work

I agree with you about Brandt. Marvelous dream like imagery. I'm not fond of heavy post processing, but in his case I think it works. I would like to know more about his workflow too.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Last I read about the African photos of Brandt's, he used the Pentax 67II camera, various lenses and film. He did disclose that he was using PS in his post-processing work flow. I have his book, On This Earth: Photographs from East Africa and highly recommend purchasing a copy if you would like to see more from his African wildlife project.

Best, Darr

Awesome. Thank you so much, Darr.

Do you own any of his work personally? Any idea of how much these go for? Can you buy them anywhere online aside from Artmo?

I do not own any work of Nick's because it costs in the thousands. I see prints selling on the 'bay every so often for $5,000-6,000 US. Here is a link to a story that talks more about his technique.

Darr

I enjoy his work as well. There's not too much post that couldn't be done in a darkroom, except some of the selective blur (http://www.artmo.com/Artwork/Lion+Be...a/nick+brandt/ and http://www.artmo.com/Artwork/Sitting.../nick+brandt/), which you could do in the darkroom but it is definitely easier and more controlled in PS. The majority of the edits looked to be dodge/burn and contrast oriented.

It's definitely not the post that makes these images great, but his post does help them shine even brighter. His work always impresses me.
    Will Wilson
    www.willwilson.com

Re: Question About Nick Brandt's Post Process + David Burdeny's Work

I have to say I agree, Will.

You're making me warm up on the post.

I saw David Burdeny's exhibit at the Jennifer Kostuik Gallery in Vancouver BC a few months ago. His work is very nice and I think some of his Antarctic prints are the best of all his work. The large prints were priced in the $5000 - $7500 range and are printed in editions of ten. Some of his older work was in the $2000 range but I don't recall anything less than that. If I was rich I would have purchased one of the antarctic prints - several are quite spectacular.

Thanks, Dave.

Out of curiosity, which ones in particular would you have bought?

I'm hoping I can snag the 'Weddell' piece if I can work out some payment plan.

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    I do not own any work of Nick's because it costs in the thousands. I see prints selling on the 'bay every so often for $5,000-6,000 US. Here is a link to a story that talks more about his technique.

Darr
    I recall the very first time I saw the elephant shaking dust from his back picture, I called to buy a print the same day. I do not recall the price, but the disappointment of not being able to afford the print is almost as vivid as the degree of how much I was blown away I was by the image!