Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ink consumption, Epson 2880 and Pro 3800

Ink consumption, Epson 2880 and Pro 3800

I am considering purchasing a large format printer.

Previously I have had all my prints done by a lab, they print up to 12x18 on an AGFA D-lab2 and larger on a Chromira. The prints are really nice and are on proper Fuji DP-2 paper, not just Crystal archive like most lab use.

However.. I am trying to work out if the cost is efficient, apart from the benefit of getting the print straight away, being able to print on fine art papers and so forth.

It has proven next to impossible for me to find some actual data on the ink consumption of the two printers I am interested in, the Epson Photo 2880 and the Pro 3800. I know the 3800 has the bigger ink tanks and that it is really nearly the same price as the 2880 once you count the ink that you get with it and such (This has just been discussed in another thread.)

However, on "average" how many colour 12x10's for instance would I be able to make on say a full set of inks for the 2880, a set of inks costing £75 and for instance 50 sheets of Ilford galerie smooth pearl A3 costing £43, providing that the ink set would produce 50 12x10's that would bring the price to £118, the price for the same 50 prints from my lab would be £137.50. So not really a great saving and I somewhat doubt that a set of ink cartridges would stretch to 50 10x12's?

So to cut a long story short can anyone give me a guestimate on how much one gets out of the ink cartridges or perhaps how many cartridges on average one goes through in order to produce a specific number of prints in a specific size?

Best regards
    Jan

Re: Ink consumption, Epson 2880 and Pro 3800

So many variables, too little time. There is no easy answer. Read this for more confusion.
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/digitalcameras/?p=483

Depends on the subject matter and color palette, but the 3800 uses a little over 2 ml ink/square foot.

I bought my 3800 in March, 2007. I'm still using the ink that came with it although I'm almost out of the light black and am low on a couple others. I print few large prints, 8x10 or so is typical. I don't print a lot. I'd guess that on average I make about 2 prints per week but that's a real guesstimate because I tend to print in periodic batches. I do know that the ink usage is much better than my former 2200, which tended to drink ink.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

"I know the 3800 has the bigger ink tanks and that it is really nearly the same price as the 2880 once you count the ink that you get with it and such"

I think you answered your own question on which one to get. I have a 3800 and it's fantastic, almost never clogs, and produces outstanding prints. Not to mention big ones compared to the smaller printer.

My previous R2400 went through the tiny cartridges at an amazing rate. The 3800 probably uses ink at the same rate, you just don't notice it so much with the 80ml carts.

You also can control the amount of ink you use by adjusting your DPI from 1440 to 720 dpi and it will use less ink on you , how well the prints will be , I do Not know !! just a thought ! good luck I run a epson 2200 now at 1440dpi and am happy :
    Lauren MacIntosh

Whats in back of you is the past and whats in front of you is the future now in the middle you have choices to make for yourself:

I have a Epson 3800 and the ink is not cheap (48.00$) for a replacement cartridge.If you don't do alot of printing figure on the ink lasting 8-10 months.

Consider a continuous ink system and forget about the difference in ink prices. In lieu of that consider refilling cartridges. I haven't used Epson ink in over a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller View Post
    Consider a continuous ink system and forget about the difference in ink prices. In lieu of that consider refilling cartridges. I haven't used Epson ink in over a year.
    How do you go about refilling 3800 carts?

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard Peterson View Post
    How do you go about refilling 3800 carts?
    I wouldn't consider it. The longivity of Epson ink on Epson media has been well documented by Henry Wilhelm http://www.wilhelm-research.com/. This is critical if durable prints are important. For casual use the several alternative inks or refilled cartridges may be perfectly satisfactory and probably economical.