Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And now for something completely different

And now for something completely different

These photos of gypsum and helectite formations were taken in Breezeway cave, near Manitou Springs in Colorado. It was a lot of work getting them - not only is there a lot of crawling (past fragile formations) and some climb-downs, but also a clean area where we must take off all dirty/muddy clothes, boots and gear to pass over a pristine pool area, only to put everything back on and continue on the other side.

To protect the camera I made a custom foam enclosure (out of sleeping pad foam), which I then put in a waterproof bag and put that into the cave pack. Not only would a pelican case that size be out of my price range, but I'm pretty sure it would not fit through some of the restrictions I had to pass through, and they can be much more damaging to the cave.

These were all taken with a Linhof Technika using either a Schneider 75mm SA or 150mm Symmar at f/22 or f/32. Lighting was done with two older Sunpak flashes. Since the camera had to be on tripod and I had a person helping me, I would open the shutter just long enough to manually fire the flashes (enough times to get the correct exposure) and then close it.

Here are the rest

What do you think? Comments and critiques are welcome.

Evan

Re: And now for something completely different

Fantastic - really. We get so busy with our lives, we forget about the amazing things that take place in our world. Your effort certainly paid off, thanks for sharing these.

Added: I love the second shot with the fallen pieces (gravity?) and the large mass/cone forming below. So cool. Great work.

One of my best friends lives minutes away from there and I'm heading down to see him this weekend. I'll certainly be thinking about these while I’m there!

Indeed, these are very fascinating formations and you have done a great job with your shots. Thank you.

Brisbane, Australia

Beautiful work, Evan. Nature's beauty has been enhanced by your skill in capturing these images. Thanks for sharing them.

Nicely done. Thanks for posting. I've shot in caves with only 35 mm or digital. As expected, LF brings a much higher level to the results.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Excellent work. All are truly WOW shots. Thank you so much for sharing.

Wow, fantastic dendritic like structures formed by precipitation chemistry. Some grow in a direction defying gravity suggesting that they may be somewhat crystalline in composition. Maybe? Splendid stuff.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Wonderful!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Wow Wow Wow ! ! ! ! !