Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Women and Large Format

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Re: Women and Large Format

Hello,,

I forgot to mention Gene Stratton Porter which lived in Genevea Indiana,,, she was one of the first nature photographer's and very accomplished auther ... She was best known for the novel Freckles, and girl of the limberlost... I can't find any info on her camera of choice but considering she lived in late 1800's I'm gonna guess it wasn't a Leica,,

I am currently exporing the area where Gene lived which is mostly swamp converted to farmland.. They started to restore the swamp and since 1997 have accumulated more then 1300 acres and it has been restored..

This area regularly floods from the Wabash river ... The area the Limberlost swamp used to accupy was 13,000 acres and 4 counties.. There are only a few pockets remaining ... Very scenic area though

Several, very talented large format photographers who happen to be women, can be found in our large format group - www.imageworks.org

Quote Originally Posted by mikerz View Post
    I met the woman, found her devoid of a genuine creativity and full of herself -- not to mention that I think her work is half-assed.
    I have never seen the womans work before and no have no axe to grind one way or the other. The strong words you use indicate she must have personally insulted you or rubbed you the wrong way.

Re: creativity, well I looked at her work and see no justification for your comments about lack of creativity. What do you base your judgements on?

I think her work is thought provoking.

I know this is an old thread, but speaking of Nancy Marshall, I saw her exhibit of Andalusia (the farm where author Flannery O'Conner lived in Ga.) She shot 8x10 in Georgia's 100 degree summer heat. I put my 4x5 away in the summer.
    Last edited by keith english; 6-May-2009 at 07:32. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by keith english View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but speaking of Nancy Marshall, I saw her exhibit of Andalusia (the farm where author Flannery O'Conner lived in Ga.) She shot 8x10 in Georgia's 100 degree summer heat. I put my 4x5 away in the summer.
    Flannery wrote her story, "A Good Man is Hard to Find," at Andalusia -- what a piece of work! Thanks for the info Keith!

Best, Darr

Smile Re: Women and Large Format

Quote Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
    "We are probably too busy working, taking care of the home, kids, etc and trying to do some decent LF that we don't speak too loud or too often. We are probably tired!!"

:-)

I know I've been busy at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
    "We are probably too busy working, taking care of the home, kids, etc and trying to do some decent LF that we don't speak too loud or too often. We are probably tired!!"

:-)
    It gets better girls -- my son (college student) just called to say "lets go somewhere and shoot some pics." Mind you, he is not a photog, but he said I'm the photographer and I would know a nice place to go spend the day together. We are off to Alligator Point and/or Sopchoppy for the day with my Fotoman 617 + b&w. Great kid, thinking of his mom in terms like this.

Darr

At the rate he is going, he may turn out to be a keeper! Enjoy! Share a few 6x17 photos with those of us who only have 6x17 envy.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Didn't see anyone mention Judy Dater

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M Hostetter View Post
    Hello,,

I forgot to mention Gene Stratton Porter which lived in Genevea Indiana,,, she was one of the first nature photographer's and very accomplished auther ... She was best known for the novel Freckles, and girl of the limberlost... I can't find any info on her camera of choice but considering she lived in late 1800's I'm gonna guess it wasn't a Leica,,

I am currently exporing the area where Gene lived which is mostly swamp converted to farmland.. They started to restore the swamp and since 1997 have accumulated more then 1300 acres and it has been restored..

This area regularly floods from the Wabash river ... The area the Limberlost swamp used to accupy was 13,000 acres and 4 counties.. There are only a few pockets remaining ... Very scenic area though
    Gene moved to California and became a movie producer.. 8 of her novels were made into movies

By the way ,,, I also enjoy all the photography here on this web site made by women! I can learn a lot from them

To all the mother's,, Happy Mother's Day !