Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Digital Printing/Who are the Masters?

Re: Digital Printing/Who are the Masters?

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    for those interested in seeing what can be done with ink jet prints check this out.

http://www.podnova.com/channel/25428/episode/23/

Richard Benson is doing some amazing things with epson printers. I have seen the prints in person and they are really really great.

http://www.mulita.com/blog/?p=18
    Benson has been one of my printing heroes over the years. I was in a show with him at the Springfield Museum called Contemporary Platinum. I thought his platinum prints were exquisite and what he did with gravure was truly amazing.

What he did with inkjet I don't find as impressive. I also saw a show of Jay Maisel's work at MacWorld, done on either a Canon or HP, don't remember which, that were really not what they could have been in my opinion. They looked waxy (there's a technical term for ya').

There are ways to use the tools that we have been given to create quite amazing prints. There are many examples in b&w and color, that don't require registration and reprinting. I do agree that color management is a black art. There are better RIP's than ImagePrint and after seeing the interview what I think Richard should have done is reach out to some color mgmt experts rather than try and remake the machine. Epson isn't likely to produce what he came up with so it leaves a lot of folks out of the picture. I do know others that have created registration systems but I don't think its really necessary to get a buildup of ink. With my printer, if I set the controls right I can put enough ink on the page to get puddles of ink dripping all over...

Just because one can doesn't mean they should....

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Re: Digital Printing/Who are the Masters?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Clyde Butcher. His digital prints are even more impressive than his tradtionals.
    Ditto Bill

My son & I were at his studio while he was printing a large digital print & I was quite impressed + Clyde seemed to be having a lot of fun with the whole process. A whole lot easier than going to the 5'x7' trays although they still do wet printing as well.

These were B&W prints Merg - Not sure if you're looking for someone to print for you or examples of good work which these were.

Regards
    Last edited by Lee Hamiel; 21-Feb-2009 at 10:28. Reason: Clarification