Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RATOC FireWire to SCSI Converter for Howtek

Re: RATOC FireWire to SCSI Converter for Howtek

Bob, if you go into the device manager, then click on refresh, you'll find that most scsi host adapters requery the bus (I know the Adaptec 2940 and it's various versions do)

Quote Originally Posted by erie patsellis View Post
    Bob, if you go into the device manager, then click on refresh, you'll find that most scsi host adapters requery the bus (I know the Adaptec 2940 and it's various versions do)
    He is right. No need to reboot your WIN machine. I run three scanners via XP and this is how I turn them on and then Silverfast. Just go into device manager and refresh.

Best, Darr

Saratoga, CA

Thanks, I didn't know you could do that.

Gale

YMMV, of course. On a mac, you can use the power domain software to rescan the bus as well. ( I use a mix of PC (win xp) and macs (OS9 and OSX), and rarely restart machines.

I run a Aztec scanner via SCSI card. It's not difficult to deal with it. It appears the device has to be turned on so XP can save a slot in memory for the device. I believe PCI devices can not be dynamically added after boot time.

On Vista: The scanner has to be on first before the OS boots. The PC can enter sleep mode, and when there is a need to use the scanner again (after powering down the scanner) it will be rediscovered if the scanner is on when the PC comes out of sleep mode. I can have the PC in sleep mode for several days and Vista will continue to discover the device as long as a reboot has not taken place.

_ .. --
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    Don, I was referring the normal SCSI protocol not the RATOC. The boot routine with any SCSI device I've used (PC only, not sure about MAC) is with the computer off, start the SCSI device, then boot the computer. If you boot this way you can turn the SCSI device off and turn it back on again as long as you do not reboot the computer with the device turned off. My understanding is with the RATOC connected between the computer and the scanner, you can turn the scanner on anytime and the computer will see it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Gale
    No what I'm recalling is that there is a way to boot the computer with the SCSI device powered off. And then power up the device after PC boot.

Let me poke around a bit and see if I can verify that. I used to have two SCSI scanners that I could use this way but it's been a few years ago.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    He is right. No need to reboot your WIN machine. I run three scanners via XP and this is how I turn them on and then Silverfast. Just go into device manager and refresh.

Best, Darr
    Thanks Darr that is what I was trying to recall!

Don

Hi,

any news on this topic?
    I'd like to replace an old PCI based PC with a Mac Pro 2008 running Windows using BootCamp to run my Howtek 4500 with Digital Photolab.

Anyone using a PCI Express card successfully with DPL?
    Anyone using a FireWire-to-SCSI adapter successfully with DPL?

Regards,

Hello
    Does anyone know where to buy a FIREWIRE SCSI Adaptor?
    I have a F4100 Flatbed and just bought Silverfast 6.1. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thank you Raoul

RATOC FireWire to SCSI Converter for Howtek

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    . My understanding is with the RATOC connected between the computer and the scanner, you can turn the scanner on anytime and the computer will see it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Gale
    You're wrong. At least in my experience with Imacon SCSI scanners.

Jon