Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RATOC FireWire to SCSI Converter for Howtek

Saratoga, CA

RATOC FireWire to SCSI Converter for Howtek

Does anyone have experience using this device with drum scanners? I bought this to use it mostly with my Howtek 4500 but also with my ScanMate 5000. So far, no luck but don't confuse me with anyone who knows what there doing. I'm using a PC running XP and when I start the computer it sees this device but will not install it and I can't find a device driver on the CD so I'm not sure what to do now?

Thanks for any help.
    Mr.Gale

Re: RATOC FireWire to SCSI Converter for Howtek

Mr Gale, I don't know if you have looked at the RATOC FAQ on their web site, but if not maybe there is help there for you. http://www.ratocsystems.com/english/...faq/fr1sx.html You may also check the yahoo scan hi end group. The RATOC devices come up there occasionally.

Good luck,

Ben

There are also drivers available for download on the RATOC web site......

Ben

Even with the drivers, these can be tough to get working well. There is a software FR-1 Utility, and sometimes you need to activate that, restart, de-activate that, restart once more, and then maybe the scanner gets recognized. Honestly, it almost seems like luck when it works, though once it is noticed it doesn't have problems. I suggest trying as many combinations as possible, and having the power adapter connected to the Ratoc.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Saratoga, CA

Thanks Ben, I took your advice.

Gordon, I emailed Ratoc's and they wrote back saying they had never heard of either scanner but they sound interested in helping. I will send them more info tomorrow and see if they have any ideas.

Gale

Out of curiosity, if you are running a PC under XP, a standard Adaptec card works just fine, why take the arduous approach?

Saratoga, CA

There are a few reasons I would like to use it. SCSI is a pain in the ass, you have to reboot you computer if you want to use the scanner, SCSI devices must be turned on before you start the computer. With this adapter, you just turn the scanner on and you are ready to go. I would like to keep the PC I use for scanning about 10’ (cable length) from the scanner, long SCSI cables are big and expensive but with this device I can attach it at the scanner (it has optional power from the wall) and a small firewire cable from the scanner to the computer is easier.

Gale

Slideshow Bob: Thats strange about needed to turn scanner on first to get it to run in XP I have a Linotype-Hell Saphir Ultra 2 on a pci Adaptec scsi and it starts up[ just fine in windozes XP-Home for me] ,BUT Still can not get it to work With Vista ???
    Lauren MacIntosh

Whats in back of you is the past and whats in front of you is the future now in the middle you have choices to make for yourself:

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    There are a few reasons I would like to use it. SCSI is a pain in the ass, you have to reboot you computer if you want to use the scanner,
    Gale
    No I don't think that is correct. If memory serves me well, the device can be reset from the System/Hardware/Device Manager folder.

Don Bryant

Saratoga, CA

Don, I was referring the normal SCSI protocol not the RATOC. The boot routine with any SCSI device I've used (PC only, not sure about MAC) is with the computer off, start the SCSI device, then boot the computer. If you boot this way you can turn the SCSI device off and turn it back on again as long as you do not reboot the computer with the device turned off. My understanding is with the RATOC connected between the computer and the scanner, you can turn the scanner on anytime and the computer will see it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Gale