Thread: arca-swiss discovery

arca-swiss discovery

I just got an Arca-Swiss Discovery, and would like to get an adapter so i can continue to use my lenses mounted on Wista lens boards. Do I need the 170 to 110 adapter or is it the 110 to 170?

Re: arca-swiss discovery

Quote Originally Posted by jaded View Post
    I just got an Arca-Swiss Discovery, and would like to get an adapter so i can continue to use my lenses mounted on Wista lens boards. Do I need the 170 to 110 adapter or is it the 110 to 170?
    You need a 171 to Linhof Technica adapter board. They seem to sell for around $100-150 used, or you can have SK Grimes make you one for roughly the same price.

I do the same for Arca to Canham lens boards. Just send the Arca board to SK Grimes and they will cut the board and screw in the adapter plates for ~$135 including shipping. Takes 4-6 weeks though.

or just watch this forum long enough and one will come up for sale- like the one I plan to list as soon as I can get some pics to post (this weekend at the latest)- and it wont cost $100+

You can ask at Badger Graphics.

They sold me an after-market Technika adaptor, when I purchased my Discovery from them a few years back.

Their phone number is 920-766-9332.

I bought mine from this guy on ebay for my Discovery. I am pretty satisfied with it.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/RARE-adapter-for-...1%7C240%3A1318

Congratz on the Discovery!!! It is a great camera and gives all the Arca engineering perfection at a great price.

For a Discovery you need the 171 to Linhof adapter (or to the 110 Arca boards). I have the Discovery and got the 171 to Arca 110 boards. It is a topnotch product and allows the lenses to use the smaller boards. The 171 to Linhof will be just as nice. Pricey at over $300 but watch for used.

Note- when I got the Discovery I got an Arca to Toyo adapter for like $75. BUT it does not hold the lens anywhere near as secure as the Arca-Swiss product. So while a 3rd party can hold the lens, there was no way you would ever pick up and carry camera with it on there as it is not as secure as the Arca adapter. I think the Arca one is a better buy in the long run although SK Grimes may do a good one.

BTW- I have a variety of images of my Discovery on my blog. I'd also be happy to send you images of both adapters.
    My Arca-Swiss Camera Blog- The Large Format Camera Blog

My website-WildernessPhotographer

Dave Karp

Keep an eye on EBay. I picked up an ARCA made 171 to Technika adapter plus three Technika-type boards for $100 - $150. One was a Wista board, which itself usually goes for around $30 alone. Once in a while you can find a good deal!