Page 20 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your home made camera...

Re: Show us your home made camera...

Congratulations, Joseph! I couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M Hostetter View Post
    8x10" P&S ,, maple, oak, and ebony
    Nice piece of work Steve, what focal length is it. The joinery look great.

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

hello, thank you it is a 115mm Rodenstock

Very nice work, Steve! I love the peanut grip!

thank you Jay, never thought about it but it does look like a peanut I took it out shooting last couple of days and been souping negs.. everything looks good on the light table!

How do you prevent drooling when looking at 8x10 negs on a light table? It's a problem.

I'm working on an 8x10 P&S too, but mine is for portraits, and a monstrosity compared to yours. I'm training by holding my 14-1/2" Verito at arm's length for as long as I can, which it turns out, is not very long.

Jay,,

I agree those 8x10's need to be seen to be appreciated..!

In regards to building a working p&s I remember someone saying, " It's as simple as building a box". I suppose a house or a skyscraper is just a box or an automobile is just a box with wheels..
    I can remember the first " box " I made I had to redo it several times..
    I can't wait to see the results from your " box " !

Steve, I feel I should do my best to keep your expectations low....very low in proximity to the beautiful work exhibited in this thread. My material of choice for proving concepts is black foamcore, which makes revisions quicker and less painful. In order to avoid very unflattering comparisons, I'm more likely to post examples of images made with a proof of concept camera than images of the camera itself (assuming success). If ever one of my designs evolves from proof of concept to prototype, I'll be happy to post an image, even my work is humble by comparison to others here.

Jay,

Interesting,,! I would suggest you might need to center the 1/4" socket front to back for better balance..? Will your lens weigh much?

sorry, I just get the feeling there might be some flex there

Steve, I didn't tell you the craziest part......I intend to shoot hand-held. I've done the math, and it pencils out. The weight of the camera is at the ends, where it will be supported by my hands. The middle just needs to be stiff enough to not collapse. Foamcore can be amazingly rigid for its weight. The lens I intend to use for testing is my 16" Turner triple convertible. It's certainly not light, but nowhere near as heavy as my Verito, which was my first crazy thought. What dissuaded me from the Verito was not the weight, but the Studio shutter. I'm not sure I could fire it fast enough to prevent camera motion blur, which will be the greatest challenge, and one that can't be predicted mathematically, except by the old rule of thumb that one's shutter speed should match the focal length of the lens. I don't think the rule was meant to apply to anything as unorthodox as my camera, but even so, it recommends a 1/400 shutter speed, same as the sunny 16 rule recommends for ISO 400 film, which I intend to use. Then there's the dreaded Bellows Extension Factor, which will fine me 2 stops for shooting too close to 1:1, leaving me at f/8 with 3/4" dof @ 40" from my subject, or using a shutter speed around 1/100 @ f/16, leaving me a roomy 1-1/2" of dof! Can I shoot a camera 30" long at 1/100 and get acceptably sharp results? I'm betting I can, and hoping the generosity of contact printing will provide me a little slack.

Once I get the camera bench tested, and I'm satisfied everything is lined up well enough, I'll lay a layer or two of fiberglass over the foamcore before I venture into the world at large for field testing. That will stiffen things up nicely, and lend some protection from the elements, without adding a lot of weight, or changing the balance. It will be held more like a rifle than a camera, with one pistol grip under the lens, and another about 12" forward from the back, so I can nestle the back against my shoulder like a rifle butt. There is not back, as such, just a slot in the top of the camera for the film holder.

I'm sorry, that's probably way more information than you wanted. I get carried away.