Thread: Hahnemuhle problem w/3800

Angry Hahnemuhle problem w/3800

I've been printing happily with Museo silver rag, and getting a very smooth articulation of detail. I decided to try the Hahnemuhle FineArt Pearl with its brighter whites, but have not been getting the same smoothness in the details.

I've downloaded the proper profiles and followed their pdf instructions to no avail. When I've printed with the museo using either profile I don't have this problem. When I print with Inkpress luster I don't have this problem, regardless of profile. It appears that there's something about the absorption of the ink with HahneMuhle that's not working right.

Its a fine, but perceptable, dot pattern when you look closely. Does anyone have any experience with this?

JY

Re: Hahnemuhle problem w/3800

They way you describe it, it sounds more like a printer artifact than a profile problem. Profiles affect color. This doesn't sound like a color related problem.

Have you seen the same problem with other Hahnemuhle papers, like Photo Rag?

I found this paper to be finicky with my 3800 as well. I had to try lots of different settings with the platen gap and paper thickness to make it work. With that and the surface texture I didn't care for I moved on to another paper rather quickly.

My best advice, try making a custom paper setting in the printer's menu.
    Good luck,

Rob

Thanks for the replies. I've got an email in to the support person at the company. Three days and no response- Museo called back the next day when I had a question for them.

Yes it appears to not be a profile issue, because the problem does not show with 2 other papers printed in either profile. I guess profiles are primarily about color and not ink quantities.

Maybe I should experiment with the gloss vs. luster settings, but I thought I set those right. Its strange to me that two very similar looking surfaces would be accepting ink so differently. If I learn anything I will report.

JY

I can't help you with your specific problem as I've not used this paper (I still very much prefer matte papers!) but don't discount the profile. Contrary to the comments above profiles do affect the amount of ink laid down, particularly where a generic profile is being used on top of the printer manufacturers setting for a different paper which is the case here. Are you using the Hahnemuhle specified paper settings as they will also affect the quantity of ink laid down? Also are there any instructions on resolution, dither patterns or uni/bidrectional in Hahnemuhle's documentation as these will also impact the situation?

I have to say that I'm not at all surprised that two similar looking surfaces accept ink very differently, as both companies will be using their own proprietary coatings. What is more surprising is that you obtained satifactory results using the Hahnemuhle profile with other papers.

David Whistance

Quote Originally Posted by dwhistance View Post
    I can't help you with your specific problem as I've not used this paper (I still very much prefer matte papers!) but don't discount the profile. Contrary to the comments above profiles do affect the amount of ink laid down, particularly where a generic profile is being used on top of the printer manufacturers setting for a different paper which is the case here. Are you using the Hahnemuhle specified paper settings as they will also affect the quantity of ink laid down? Also are there any instructions on resolution, dither patterns or uni/bidrectional in Hahnemuhle's documentation as these will also impact the situation?

I have to say that I'm not at all surprised that two similar looking surfaces accept ink very differently, as both companies will be using their own proprietary coatings. What is more surprising is that you obtained satifactory results using the Hahnemuhle profile with other papers.

David Whistance
    Thanks for your input David. Yes, I did download the profile from Hahnemuhle and applied the pdf's suggested settings. But I'm going to go over it again as I have box of 17x22 that I don't intend to waste. Don't recall commentary on dither patterns but that's a good suggestion because that seems to be what's not right.

Yes the inkpress lustre and museo silver rag both printed nicely on H's or the museo's profile that I have installed. I've had other situations where the profile changes didn't seem to make much difference, and, of course, some where it made a huge difference. Its great to have a forum, though, that's made a big difference!

JY