Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Large format Film?

Large format Film?

Question?

With the advance of digital photography, how long can we expect to have large format film available to us?

My fear is that some day my 4x5 equipment will just be something to look at on a shelf.

Joe.

Re: Large format Film?

You have two options: switch to digital now, out of fear that you won't be able to get film in the future (and thereby hasten its demise) or continue to work in the manner you prefer, and support the manufacturers of the products you need and want.

Personally, I've chosen the latter, and stash an extra box or two in the freezer with each new supply order.

Stop worrying and go shooting. I'll look for you in the field today.

Joe, do a search on this site. Hard to believe, but you aren't the first person to ask this question. It's been brought up again and again and again. It's been discussed completely and utterly to death. Many times. You'll find all the discussion you can handle in the archives.

Bruce Watson

Andi Heuser

Let's keep on buying film and making good photos with it.
    Last edited by sanchi heuser; 15-Feb-2009 at 07:11. Reason: Sorry for my bad english

Two different animals. This would be like comparing oil painting to ink jet printers.

I have yet to hear painters being concerned about the availability of oil paints in the future, when ink jets have taken over the planet.

As long as we buy the stuff, someone will produce it. Heck, you can even coat your own glass plates if you're up to it.

Don't worry. Make pictures!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Black and white, which is even more obsolete were the consumer market is concerned, still is profitable, and has even spawned a new culture of small to mid scale producers besides the giants. We'll likely see a similar development of downsizing and a shift to strictly professional products for colour film - but vanish they won't. Film production, handling and processing was a multi billion business, so that even a drop to promille dimensions would still leave a global film market big enough to feed an industry with thousands of employees.

Sevo

How much film do you guys shoot in a year?
    Is it practical for you to keep several years worth of film away in the freezer?

Seems like several years worth of film stash might be prudent. Otherwise, I agree with the above advice. We all just need to shoot, both to support manufacturers and to support film as a concept.
    I've got my gear, now what?

Photography Blog

I think film will progress something along the lines that vacuum tubes (electron valves? for the brits) have. I remember when I was a kid, there were tube testers and a ready supply of common tubes available in every harware store and many drug stores. Those are all long gone but, tubes can still be found. Film will go just like that, I think. Remember when film processing was available in every supermarket, drugstore, etc...(there were even places that specialized in film processing and had little drive-up booths in the parking lot....!). Film may drop off the radar for the average consumer but, it will continue to be available for a long time to come.

Don't worry...be happy.

10 years

Large format film will always be available. Anyone who wants to make it can make it even if all the film factories in the world go bust.

Remember, you can do wet collodion photographs today and it has always been the case that the plates had to be made individually from basic ingredients just before exposure.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".