Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Changing bag versus tent

hacker extraordinaire

Re: Changing bag versus tent

Changing bags are completely unsuitable for loading film holders. After the experience I had on vacation with a changing bag and dusty negatives I'll never use one again. Changing tents may be better but for now I just prefer to find somewhere dark.

I agree tents are better because of the dust issue. Even with these, it pays to wipe the insides with a barely damp cloth occasionally.

If you want to go cheap and light, just find dark rooms to change in. But a Harrison tent is by far the best investment you can make, so much so that I would sell a lens or downgrade some other item in order to have the tent.

Of course, for the $150 cost of a tent you could purchase 30 $5 4x5 holders... perhaps 60 sheets is enough?

There are also Calumet and Photoflex "tents" that are not nearly as nice as a Harrison but they work -- expect to pay about $75 new, $60 used.

Frank is right about the Harrison. I wasn't aware of them when I went looking for one and went with a Photoflex. The bottom is not entirely flat when open, a bit of a nuisance but I've learned to live with it. If I had it to do over again, I would go with the Harrison.

My Harrison tent may be the only piece of brand new equiptment I ever bought for LF, would do it again in a heartbeat and would not even think about traveling/shooting with out one. For 8x10 or larger its much easier than carrying more holders. Buy a size bigger than you think you need, then you will want a bigger camera.

It is google...
    I heard my name and the range of changing bags/tent I designed and selling on the bay had been discussed here http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=54142 two months ago.
    I have been selling these since 2005, with introduction of XL size bag in 2007 and field working tripod tent for LF 2008. Those who used it will tell you why it is better than those rubberised ones.
    Maybe a humble solution?
    Not going to put the link here, if you are interested just do a google on "anti static Heavy Duty Darkroom film changing bag"

I prefer the tent and found one direct from photoflex that was a closeout. It was not to expensive and only has cosmetic blemishes, i have never find where the blemish was and this may be a low cost alternative. I now use my oversize bag as a dark cloth so for the trip this may be an option for film and for a dark cloth!
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

I'll second the dust issue with the changing bag. Not a very viable solution to me.
    Someone mentioned the fact that you cannot come back from a tent to a bag, that's exactly how I feel. I am currently gathering my gear for a coming trip. and for a second I considered taking the bag. I tried to load some wasted films and wow... I didn't remember that was so uncomfortable and bulky.

Concerning the tent: I'm using a photoflex and I did not experience any issues with it. A very fine product for 70$ new.
    I certainly won’t pay more that the double for a Harrison !

EDIT : I only shoot 4x5"
    Last edited by Clement Apffel; 5-Dec-2009 at 03:24. Reason: added info

I have all 3 of these, two changing tents, one changing box, one changing bag (which I dont use at all)
    While the harrison is my favorite, I won't toss away the changing box, as I use it to load jobo 3*** drums.

If a dark room is not option, a tent is much better than a bag, because of dust. Even then dust is a problem. I carry one of those sticky tape rollers to remove lint from clothes with my tent (the Harrison "pup" tent, works fine for 4x5) and "roll" the tent floor and the walls before each reloading. It is mind boggling how much lint there is, even though I keep the tent closed except for moving things in and out.
    Last edited by Arne Croell; 5-Dec-2009 at 15:17.