Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Changing bag versus tent

Re: Changing bag versus tent

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotah Jackson View Post
    ...Once at your location go to a store and get a set of tinker toys. Make a small 'scaffold' to set inside the changing bag to hold it up and away from the holders and film surface. ..
    You don't even have to buy the tinkertoys. I made my own with a some dowel rod stock and a some scrap wood pieces. Unfortunately, it was still miserable using the changing bag. Here's my list in order of preference:

1) Dark (or darkened) room

2) Harrison tent

3) Dead cow

4) Changing bag

Ok Barry I think I got it ...

Is there anyone would would have one of the Photoflex tents? The used to a bit cheaper and lighter than Harrison tents. I can find them here but for 130 euro ..
    Matus

I have a Photoflex tent and used it for awhile. Working in the US southwest was discouraging. I had dust on most transparencies. I strongly recommend quickloads when you're away from a room that you can darken. More expense, less frustration, at least for me.

Drew Wiley

Many years back I remember watching some pathetic wretch retouching AA prints
    from negatives he had changed out in the bottom of a sleeping bag - he probably
    ordered Spotone dye by the gallon! But if I do need to change film in the field, I have both sizes of Harrison tent, small for 4x5 or large if I'm traveling with 8X10.
    Then I include a few very thin polyethylene wastebasket liners of the appropriate size, attaching one edge to the roof of the film ten with a small clothespin, so that
    the space I am actually handling film in is inside lintfree plastic. I also add a plastic
    ground cover if I'm someplace dirty like the woods. A sponge is handy too, especially for countertops in motels. Then I also pack some latex or nitrile finger
    cots, powder-free, which are just like the tips of disposable gloves but much more
    portable, in order to keep finger oils off film in places where I can't use soap. My
    film boxes are disassembled and each component sprayed with matte lacquer, which
    prevents any fraying or cardboard dust. This system is very portable and, so far,
    100% dust proof.

I have a Harrison tent and it weighs 1kg on the kitchen scales incl. the poles and carry bag

I wouldn't go back to a bag except in an emergency and if I did, I'd try putting in a box on its side to try making some working room because the bag inevitably wants to close in on your hands

I've got an oversized heavy duty change bag that's about 3 feet square and it weighs in 150gm HEAVIER than the tent and packs to similar volume

need I say more ?

as to the dollars, a Harrison tent went on Aus ebay within the last week for AU $103.50 and mine was also off ebay for about Au $140 last year
    those prices aren't that expensive compared to all the other gear we have...

I just use a blindfold.

Thank you all.

At the end - I got lucky. I asked about a changing bag at the place where I will order my backpack (photobackpacker.com) and Bruce just had one Photoflex he intended to sell, so I will take it.

- Drew -

now that is interesting - but how do you manage not to have the thin plastc bag sticking to your hands, film, etc? Any more tricks how you manage that?
    I will try that once I have the back home.

I will definitely train with old film before I will try to load my precious slides under Mount Cook
    Matus

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Bowen View Post
    Bag = DUST, DUST and more DUST

Tent = Happy Photographer

'nuff said
    EXACTLY my experience. I agree 150% (if that's permissable ).

I had, still ahve (somewher) a changing bag,a nd while it's okay for 35mm or 120, disaster for 4x5.

I bought myself a tent that folds very flat some years ago and never looked back. The brand name here in Canada was "Photoflex" if that means anything, and it comes in something of an oval shape, with a carry bag. Love it, drag it everywhere.

more 'nuff said.
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

What Joseph said. I used a changing bag once. The words "Dust" and "Disaster" sound about right.

My humble opinion: I find both very frustrating. Buy a roll of black "gaffa" (NZ for cloth duct tape) at any hardware store and tape around the door in whatever room you stay in. most hotels/pub bathrooms do not have windows, so just tape around the doorframe and there you have a perfect darkroom. Just make sure the light switch is inside and wait a few minutes for your eyes to adjust to check for leaks.
    Even if youre staying in a van, you should be able to find a public toilet to suit.
    Please email me - my inbox is always full.. (press ALT and click on my name, then select "Send email to Uri A"). Thanks!