Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How important is large format to your sales?

Mike C.

Re: How important is large format to your sales?

It's the photographer, not the camera. Having said that, my sales have been 99% digital. The biggest sale I made was from a P&S digital camera (Canon G10). So for myself large format is not too important to my sales.

Http://www.pbase.com/jakeyferret/f32
    Last edited by ViewCameraNut; 4-Feb-2009 at 08:18. Reason: error

Guys

Thanks for all the responses to my question, the responses echo the conclusion that I was coming to in that I should let the pictures do the talking and not to necassarily push the LF thing unless asked.

I did actually take my camera along to show people on the night but the interest just wasn't there.

Julian

To address Julian's intial question, the large format angle is moderately to hugely influential in terms of my fine art print sales and has zero influence on stock sales( I haven't gotten around to pitching Audubon, Sierra Club, etc yet). If a prospective buyer is interested enough to inquire about my camera format, I find that busting out the 4x5 that I use for all my print shots is very helpful in closing a print sale. I've never had an advertising agency inquire about format, only if my files are big enough to cover certain dimensions at 300 DPI in their magazine. The ad guys couldn't care less, but my fine art print collectors do seem to care. Perhaps the bottom line is if you are only going to shoot stock, use digital and if you want to sell prints, Large format can be helpful in terms of perception and very helpful in terms of image quality.
    Cheers,
    Mike
    Pacific Crest Photography

Overall (I guess) the customer wants to buy the product / image in front of his nose (exhibitions). He doesn't care about the process that lead to the product. In his head there is an idea where it might fit into his home or office, what kind of frame he's going to order to match the other images. It's like in fine art: people don't care about the brushes the artist used, sometimes they ask 'oil or acrylic'. End of the show.

However, for my job LF or better saying 1/2 LF (6x9) and the view camera really does matter. Architecture or interiors without the movements of a view camera plus the required high resolution would be impossible - PhotoSoup is an ugly helper in this arena.

In addition: why should a client hire my services if I would show up with just the same digital gear he already has in a drawer of his office desk? A friend of mine nailed it down to the point:

As a professional photographer your gear **must** be better, more versatile and really professional than the stuff your customer works with.

Today several customers know the buzzword 'megapixel'. They are used to 12, 14, 24 MP. But when I mention 130 MP or more they start to listen. Of course I always have my folder with me (only small, razorsharp prints at 13"x19" or A3 B size). That does the trick. If they still want to discuss the price based on the tiny digital cam photographers price lists I send them to a friend of mine who uses a digital cam.

Those with good eyes and a certain knowledge or specific requirements know and see the difference. The others are definitely not my target market and I don't want to waste my time with long explanations for nothing.

But I'm not in the business to sell prints, art work or stock photography... I sell my knowledge, experience and a custom tailored service and craftsmanship, so my experience might be different

In addition: why should a client hire my services if I would show up with just the same digital gear he already has in a drawer of his office desk? A friend of mine nailed it down to the point:

As a professional photographer your gear **must** be better, more versatile and really professional than the stuff your customer works with.
    When I was only shooting 4x5 for architecture, some of my best architect clients owned "better" view cameras than I did and to top that had taken university classes from me. So they knew how to use them (many times over the years, I had students with better cameras than mine, but that isn't the point isn't it?). I used an ancient and cheap Calumet Widefield (and a Tachihara before that) for all my commercial work for many many years and made no apologies for it. They weren't hiring a camera, but my 30 years of experience mastering the camera, the lighting, my vision and lastly my knowledge of design competitions and the magazine business to help them win awards and get published. It is no different now. I have one client that just bought a Nikon D3X and another with a Hassleblad Flexbody/39MP back. I use a 5DII. I have 5 large shoots scheduled with these two clients this year. It ain't about the camera. Never was and never will be-unless your clients are idiots.
    Last edited by Kirk Gittings; 11-Feb-2009 at 11:07.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Drew Wiley

I'll tell you one instance where large format made a real difference. I was undergoing an IRS audit and they were questioning me about travel to Hawaii or something - don't
    recall exactly. But I had the forethought to bring along an 8x10 transparency from
    aforesaid trip. No more questions.

It ain't about the camera. Never was and never will be-unless your clients are idiots.
    OK, agreed, America and Far East is totally different in this regard. In Europe everybody believes he is a great photographer if he sports a 'modern' camera (whatever this really means).

I think its a universal truth that, in all crafts, there is work that speaks to the lay viewer and then there's work that's directed at peers. You can find a lot of analogies. I play a 1921 Gibson mandolin frequently at gigs in my area. If you were a musician you would find it pretty interesting, but by and large, people are more impressed when they hear something they like than they are by seeing a fancy instrument.

I would go even further to suggest that its a weakness in the work of some photographers The reliance on the production methods to carry the artistic statement. Viewed from that alternative perspective, it seems more understandable that Mr. avg viewer wouldn't necessarily jump on board. Technique and method are things that should be supportive of a vision, not something to hide the absence thereof. Sometimes viewers have that discussion going on in their mind... technically nice, but boring, they might be thinking.

The work needs to speak for itself.

JY

Quote Originally Posted by signboards View Post
    I am a sign display company, large format priting is very important for customers who want to promote their products and company.
    This is a Large Format PHOTOGRAPHY forum, meaning using largeformat film (4x5" and up) in view cameras etc. Many of us also use largeformat printers, but that is not the topic of discussion.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"