Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double exposure question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Double exposure question

What's the best way to calculate exposure for a double exposure, so as to not overexpose the film with the camera set a say F22 for the first shot and F 5.6 for the second? Double exposure is something new to me and could use a little help.

Re: Double exposure question

Sorry, I wasn't paying attention to where I was posting.This should be in the Style & Technique board.

Generally, I would keep both exposures the same (assumimg the light was the same) -- basically photograph each scene at its normal exposure. That way, light objects will be exposed correctly when superimposed over a dark area. Two light equally bright areas will only be over-exposed by one stop.

But it depends if you want one of the scenes to dominate over the other, etc.

Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Generally, I would keep both exposures the same (assumimg the light was the same) -- basically photograph each scene at its normal exposure. That way, light objects will be exposed correctly when superimposed over a dark area. Two light equally bright areas will only be over-exposed by one stop.

But it depends if you want one of the scenes to dominate over the other, etc.

Vaughn
    What Vaughn says.

Bruce Watson

It depends on what you're trying to achieve. For the picture below the correct exposure would have been 1/2s at f/32. Instead of making one 1/2s exposure I made 16 exposures of 1/30s each, at f/32.

Why 16 and not 15? I don't know. It depends on how you calculate. You can regard 1/30 as being 15 times shorter than 1/2, so you would need 15 exposures.
    My reasoning was a little different. I thought that 1/2 and 1/30 were four exposure stops apart (1/4 - 1/8 - 1/15 - 1/30). A four stop difference means 16 times less light, so I made 16 exposures.

Thank you for responding, I now have a better idea as to going about doing multiple exposures. The effect I'm looking to get is an image that is in sharp focus though has a blurred exposure over it creating a sort of glow around everything. I've done this digitally though never on film, so I was a bit confused about getting the exposure right without blowing the highlights out. thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Quote Originally Posted by VladSoare View Post

Why 16 and not 15? I don't know. It depends on how you calculate. You can regard 1/30 as being 15 times shorter than 1/2, so you would need 15 exposures.
    My reasoning was a little different. I thought that 1/2 and 1/30 were four exposure stops apart (1/4 - 1/8 - 1/15 - 1/30). A four stop difference means 16 times less light, so I made 16 exposures.
    Since the speed indicated by "30" is really (supposed to be) 1/32nd of a second, you got it right anyway. "15" and up lie to you. I guess, long ago, someone decided that people liked shutter speeds that ended in a 5 or 0, so 1/16th became "15" and 1/32nd became "30" etc. The old 1/25, 1/50 are really those speeds (assuming your old shutter is accurate, and it isn't), so I guess that's where the idea of ending all the speeds in a 5 or 0 came from.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

Quote Originally Posted by sfjphotography View Post
    What's the best way to calculate exposure for a double exposure, so as to not overexpose the film with the camera set a say F22 for the first shot and F 5.6 for the second? Double exposure is something new to me and could use a little help.
    Here's the way I do it when I'm trying to do it intentionally. (Seems to happen unintentionally every once in a while on its own.) If your correct exposure is 1 sec at
    f22, the each exposure would be 1/2 at f22. (1/2 plus 1/2 = 1 sec.) If you want to change the second exposure to f5.6 then the exposure would be 1/30 at F5.6 if I did my math correctly. Jim

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

first maybe we should know what effects your trying to accomplish

It depends on what sort of double exposure you're planning. If you do a Google All Words search using the words "multiple" "exposure" and "photography" you'll find a lot of information for various types of double exposures.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.