Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which camera for a 4x5 landscape photographer?

Which camera for a 4x5 landscape photographer?

I am graduating from 35mm to LF. My primary interest is landscape photography (s ome micro if possible) so I need a light weight camera. So far I am steering tow ard a wood Wista DX or DX11. What is the difference? Would you recommend any o ther camera as an alternative? Price is not critical, I just want to do it righ t?

If price is truly not critical, get a Linhof Technika, (like David Muench and many other major landscape photographers). It can be used hand-held if you want/need to so that a tripod is not an absolute necessity. It has tripple extension bellows for Macro work, and is incredibly rugged.

I certainly agree with Wilhem. Dave Muench and I were classmates at the Art Center..in photography. Dave went 'Ansel Adams' and I went into advertising illustration. Love Linhof. When I am out shooting historical stuff or landscapes, my Linhof V is always ready. If the weather breaks and a beautiful rainbow appears, I've got it in two seconds. My buddies are still fumbling with their tripods. When a Colorado downslope winds hit and blow at 40 MPH, my Super Technika is rock steady and by buddies with wood cameras are frantically trying to stop the vibration, because their light-weight cameras are vibrating like a guitar string! Linhof,...the Leica of LF.

the linhoff, though it's the best 4x5 field camera made, is outrageously overpriced. a Wista SP is 90% of the camera that the Linhoff is, at about half the price. i've been shooting with a Wista for 10 years and it's a fantastic camera. you can find one used for around $1800 i think.

~chris jordan

[www.chrisjordanphoto.com]

Paging Mr. Salomon, Mr. Bob Salomon; please report to the Large Format home page.

I like the Toyo 45A-II. I've owned it's older version the 45-A since the mid 80's. A very rugged, stable little beast. Great for landscapes, but limited close-up capability. Choose a shorter lens for macro work.

To do it right, however, go to a camera shop & try each out. It's the only way to find out if the camera is right for you.

If you do end up choosing the Wista DX, I would recommend getting the DX II model without the rear shift. It is lighter, more rigid and has fewer levers to tighten when setting up. For the few times I have needed shift (doing landscape work) I could easily have used a little swing on both standards, or just taken a few steps to the right or left ;-).

Consider the Canham DLC, especially if you like to work with shorter focal length lenses. You don't have to worry about dropping the bed, and the standard bellows will accommodate lenses from 450mm to 75mm.

I agree with Richard. I have the Wista with rear shift, and it's never had the "precise" feel to it that I desire in a LF camera. It's a fine camera in many ways, but if money were no object, I would shop around.

I would go with a Tachihara instead of the Wista. I have tried both. The Tachihara was more stable and about half the price of the Wista. The Tachihara is available from Adorama.net.